What oil pan do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

The Summit pan says it's for a driver side dip stick tube engine. That's what mine is. Like I said, I'll have to call Summit to see if their pan will fit my application. I'm going to have a lot more room with the rods I'm going to be using then with the stock rods.

I have a stock oil pan I could always put on to see if it clears. If it does, the Summit pan should too.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Good idea! If a stock pan clears, then anything should clear.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I called Summit the other day. They said their oil pan wouldn't work because I'm using 6" rods with a 3.750" stroker crank. I checked my rod/block clearances yesterday to make sure the longer stroke and rods would clear. I could spin my crank completely around without any interference at all. I didn't have .060" clearance between all my rods and the block so I ground a little off at the bottom of #2, #4, #6 and #8 to get the added clearance. My crank and rods came NO WHERE near the oil pan rails, not even close to them.

I have to clean the block so I can mock it up again to make sure I ground enough off. I'm doing a little at a time so I don't take to much off. I also have to check my deck height with the rods and pistons in so I can get the correct head gaskets thickness for a .040" to .050" quench.

I'm also going to have to grind a little off a few rods for the correct rod/cam clearance. I might just buy a small base circle cam. I'm not sure if I'll still have to ground anything off my rods with the small base circle or not. I'll try my stock oil pan once I mock it up again. If it doesn't fit I'll go with a 5 quart Moroso pan that's good for a 3.800" stroke crank. My oil pump only has a 10% increase in oil volume.

Last edited by NYH1; 02-14-2010 at 10:20 PM.