Need some facts and opinions. :P

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Default Need some facts and opinions. :P

Hey, I was wondering what\if headers came stock on the '81 Z28? The guy I bought the car from just said they were performance headers. I'm looking to get around 350 or more horsepower and torque in this car, and I figured I'd start with headers. :P Any suggestions on better ones, or if I should stick with the ones I have? Thanks.

Last edited by Twinky_Bomb; 01-20-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

81 Camaro's came with exhaust manifolds, not headers. If the headers that are on the car now are full length 1 5/8" or so, they could be pretty good and very usable.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

X2 ^^^ depends on what headers are on the car. any names on them? do they go all the way under the car and back to about the trans (long tube)or (shortys) about half way down the side of the motor?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:22 PM

Not sure, sorry for the lack of info. I'll check asap.

By the way, anyone heard of those power packages from Edelbrock for small block chevy's? Comes with like, headers, intakes, cams, and all kinds of stuff.

Here's the page for it: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...age_main.shtml

And for small block chevy's: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...end_kits.shtml

If anyone has time to look through those and maybe tell me which one would be best for my '81 crate 350, that'd be greatly appreciated. Also are these all bolt ons? Pretty easy to install?

Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, in my experience, Edelbrock makes really good products. Although I've never used any of their power packages.

If you go with their Performer RPM components you will make really good power, but keep in mind you'll need to go with lower gears, like 4:10's. You'll also have to use a stall converter in the 2800-3200 RPM range. Good full length headers and a true 2 1/2" dual exhaust system will be required too. Being that you'll have to turn your engine over 6000 and up to 6500 RPM's, you're short block better be in really good condition too.

Their Performer components are a lot more mild mannered. You can use stock gearing, although 3:23/3:42 gears would still be nice, a stock stall converter is all that's required. They're a lot easier on the short block too. You'll only turn 5500 or so RPM's.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u can get better flow haveing the stock intake and heads ported and polished at a place like this
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html

Old 01-25-2010, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
u can get better flow haveing the stock intake and heads ported and polished at a place like this
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html
On an '81 Camaro?? They came with some of the worse flowing heads and intakes Chevy ever produced. Porting and polishing isn't going to do a whole lot other then waste $$$. They're geared towards smog use, not performance use. Just my $.02, YMMV!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by NYH1
On an '81 Camaro?? They came with some of the worse flowing heads and intakes Chevy ever produced. Porting and polishing isn't going to do a whole lot other then waste $$$. They're geared towards smog use, not performance use. Just my $.02, YMMV!
Exactly. You can spend a lot of money trying to rework those gen1 heads, and they still aren't going to perform as well as those Edelbrock aluminum heads. And AFR heads are better than Edelbrock. Vortec and LT1 heads are a different animal.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 01-25-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by NYH1
sorry thought i was on a different gen again. i stand corrected.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 PM

So in short to yall's answers, going with a edelbrock power package for a small block chevy(I was looking at the 460 hp ft\lb one) it would be good to use?

But, with adding new parts to a fairly old engine, but rebuilt, decrease it's life span? Someone told me that, and for some reason I think that sounds weird, idk.

Also, any estimates on how much a shop might charge to install all this stuff?

Quick Reply: Need some facts and opinions. :P