i want 300 more or less

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default i want 300 more or less

so i know this will sound kindda pointless but i would like to get my engine to 300 hp more or less, i know every small change can add up a lil bit but i was wondering what would be the cheapest way to do this,
i got a 79 LM1 i've consider headers, heads, and cam, as a start, would that get me close to there? what other ways could i go by doing this?
money is an issue but i can work on it slowly
could you give me part numbers too,
thx

Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 AM
2nd Gear member

go to summit and look at there engine reebuild kits they might beable to get close to your goal for a good price

Old 06-29-2009, 04:21 PM

or try craigslist.org in your area to find parts. thats where i got my 4.11 posi for $350.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If your engine is solid and healthy, then the bolt on changes to get it to 300 HP are not too bad. I would start with a good 650 Holley with vacuum secondaries, as they will not bog off the line, and only produce as your engine vacuum calls for it.
I would also install a decent street performance manifold at the same time. A camshaft with hydraulic lifters is a good idea, but don't get too radical. Be careful to get a cam that has proper lift clearance for your stock pistons. If your running an automatic, then a long duration cam with lots of overlap is a big mistake. They require a torque coverter with high stall, and wont work well.
Heads are the final choice, and I'd spend money on headers and the carb, intake, and cam first. Your heads can be gone through to freshen up, and match the ports to the intake and exhaust first. Good heads are very spendy, so if you're on a budget, I'd sure pass on them for now.
Summit Racing has a great tech line, and their guys can reccommend a cam and intake if you call them and tell them your engine size and what you want to accomplish. They've also got some great parts sold under the Summit name that are made by major mfg's for cheaper prices. I have purchased a lot of speed parts from them, and every time the Summit brand came it was in one of the major maker's boxes.