Second-gen upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Second-gen upgrade

I just got my '74 Z28, and I want to do something a little more, well, modern with the suspension. I was wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions as to where to go on that subject.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Default RE: Second-gen upgrade

what are you looking to do? the first thing to do is check and see what may need to be replaced as maintenance than stiffen the chassis so that the suspension will work better.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

not sure what years are available now.....but I know that Chris Alston is developing a new front bolt on clip for the 2nd gen camaros that has a nice suspension setup with r&p steering...should be out this year summer.

Other then that try a rack and pinion conversion to steer better, upper and lower tubular a-arms, decent shocks/struts, sub frame connectors,....etc

Hard to gauge without a budget, but you get the idea. you can even get a bolt in four link for the rear if budget allows it

Old 01-11-2008, 10:31 PM

well you don't want to put a rack and pinion on an older car first off it will not steer better that is a marketting BS pitch plus it will cause too much bump steer and a rack is not made to handle the amount of scrub radius these older cars have

Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 79T/Aman

well you don't want to put a rack and pinion on an older car first off it will not steer better that is a marketting BS pitch plus it will cause too much bump steer and a rack is not made to handle the amount of scrub radius these older cars have
totally not true. there are amny companies in the last 3 years that have made great systems for these cars. there used to be only "retrofit" racks based off of other cars and there were bumpsteer problems, but now companies are making racks for older Camaros with all the right proportions and geometry angles.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:03 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you have a healthy budget, Detroit Speed has a sub-frame assembly available now. A rack setup makes the driving much more enjoyable but does not increase the stability of the car. You can easily spend in excess of $15,000 on suspension/upgrades. Decide first what you want the car to do versus what you can afford. Stock height or lowered? Spring, coil-over or air? Street ride quality or track stiffness? Keep in mind that your choices can also affect the wheel/tire combination you can use. Subframe connectors are a great start, but then what? It's your choice.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ph0enix

I just got my '74 Z28, and I want to do something a little more, well, modern with the suspension. I was wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions as to where to go on that subject.
I think you need tostate your budget before you someone can suggest a good set-up.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:40 AM

not true!? well tell me the company? AND what about the issue of too much scrub radius for rack and pinion? I got to tell ya I see a lot of BS going around this site and all I see being quoted is magazine adds no realinteligent input just my observations

Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not true!? well tell me the company? AND what about the issue of too much scrub radius for rack and pinion? I got to tell ya I see a lot of BS going around this site and all I see being quoted is magazine adds no realinteligent input just my observations
Are you talking about impact transference or survivability of the rack? Rack and pinion has been used on streetrods for years. Most of which are vehicles with positive scrub radius. So, if it is survivability, there are many people that would disagree with you. Transferring wheel impact to the steering column, that is a possibility. First, a power rack would minimize the "feel" of impact at the steering wheel. Second, the odds of being in that situation on the street are minimal and most drivers would say the benefits (responsiveness) of a rack outweigh the risk. Wheel/tire combination can also help reduce the chance of this, reverse rims are out of the question. I would certainly not advocate the use of a rack for racing (road course), in a retrofit installation.

BTW: Flaming River DOES offer the kit.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

for someone new on this forum, you are coming off as kind of an ***. if you had been on here for a while you would have seen that I don't just give out bogus info, based on others incomplete thoughts. if I don't know what I'm talking about, I won't just lead people to believe that I do. I only talk from experience or from doing extensive research. I don't like to see people spend money and then not be unhappy because they just "read that it would work online somewhere". I never take shortcuts to save a buck

to answer your original question: Detroit Speed, Heidt's, FatMan and Flaming River (who also won "best new product award in '06 as SEMA), just to name a few. it's not like it used to be, years ago, when they were all just retro-fit out of the Mustang II front-ends

so next time, before you try to flame someone(especially me), PLEASE have your research done and don't come off so crass because you will make a lot of enemies on here pretty quick

no hard feelings this time

Quick Reply: Second-gen upgrade