The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Haven't had much time this week to make a bunch more progress but I did get the headers in there, cut the plug wires and got them all installed with the fancy wire separators. Vall, here's a pic of how the belt lines up on the pulleys. Had to use some 1/4" spacers on the crank pulley in order to get the power steering belt to line up. Seems to be pretty centered but I'll remember what you said about the wobbling when it starts. Power steering bracket was a huge PITA trying to get it mounted on the water pump. For some reason the back bracket would not fit behind the pump so I had to whittle away at the bracket and pump. 5 days later and 3 trips to the hardware for small washers, 3" stainless bolt and spacers and it's mounted. Have to hit up the auto parts store tomorrow for a smaller p.s belt and that's finished up. I got on the sanding/wire wheeling the inner fenders and core support but I have a LONG way to go before they're ready for paint. Carb rebuild kit is on the way along with one of the AFR spacers and then they can get installed. Not a whole lot left to do before the core support can get installed, then I can get the trans cooler and lines mounted and get on that wiring! Target "fire up" date range is the end of the month, beginning of July.

Anyone know where I can find the wire connectors for the power window switches? I've got one that is MIA and I'd like to get that fixed before re-installing the console. Haven't looked real hard for them but just wondered if someone has bought them and might know of a place that sells them. Thinking Camaro Central might have 'em?

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140524_20_01_40_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140524_20_09_47_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140525_21_55_14_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140527_23_27_07_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140511_20_19_23_pro.jpg  

Old 06-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Try NAPA for those connectors. They probably wont have them at your local store, but they will always have them at the warehouse. They were standard for many years and models of GM cars. NAPA has a counter catalog of all sorts of Echlin connectors for all the major makes and models. If you have an old connector, it would be good to take along when you order the new ones, as you can verify the picture is correct to yours.
Can I assume you've got the 5 or 6 pin connector for individual window switches, or is it possibly the master connector for a console mounted switch?

Last edited by 1971BB427; 06-01-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

And here's a guy on Ebay who's selling the 6 pin driver's side, and 5 pin pass. side, plus door lock connectors as a set:
Power Window Door Lock Switch Connectors Plugs Harness Wire Wiring Controls Nice | eBay

Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

You lost me Vall, not sure what you mean by the connector. The pic of the power window switches in my hand is what mounts in the center console and operates both windows. So there's apparently an actual connector that plugs into the back of the window switch in my hand? I was just talking about the metal terminal connectors of which one is missing. The Ebay listing shows different connectors for driver and passenger side, that's what confuses me.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
You lost me Vall, not sure what you mean by the connector. The pic of the power window switches in my hand is what mounts in the center console and operates both windows. So there's apparently an actual connector that plugs into the back of the window switch in my hand? I was just talking about the metal terminal connectors of which one is missing. The Ebay listing shows different connectors for driver and passenger side, that's what confuses me.
That's the connector. If you look closely, each pin has a clip holding it on, so you can remove each clip and pull the connector off to service or replace it. Yours is a 5 pin, as it has 5 wires, and 5 clips. You said you were looking for "wire connectors for the power window switches", so I assumed you meant a specific connector to fit the switch. If you just want a common spade connector (male or female) then you can buy them at any auto parts store, Radio Shack, electrical distributor, Harbor Fright, etc.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah that's why I posted a picture to show the one wire missing the "connector" or clip or terminal or whatever you want to call them. They aren't spade connectors otherwise I would have taken care of that last summer. I just wasn't sure if I could find the metal terminal connectors at an auto parts store, don't look like any connectors that I would normally see with the wiring stuff at a store. But that's why I was asking about them anyway, just need one but would take a set of them of course. I'll look around and most likely find them somewhere.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

OK, it makes more sense now. Didn't notice the one clip missing in the picture, so I thought you were looking for the power window connector,..... the whole connector. I'm not sure anyone carries those, so you may have to find an older car and cut one wire (with connector clip) off and splice it to your harness.
You might call American Autowire and ask if they carry them. 800-482-9473

Last edited by 1971BB427; 06-03-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

They do make round prong type male/female spade connectors, I have some. I'd give one a try and see if it fits, or could be made to fit the prong on the switch. That should work fine, unless you have a depth issue since the spade would be plugging straight in, not at a 90 degree like the original connectors.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Overdrive Member

I have to look at mine now but is there part of that plug missing too? This is gonna sound ghetto as heck but maybe stripping a butt connector of its plastic. Crimp one end on and flatten the other with a hammer. Then bend it around a small screwdriver (tweeker) shaft. That would get you close then a pinch with needle nose to set the tension on it.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

All good ideas fellas. I wanted to first see if there was someone/someplace that sold the original ones. I've got a few ideas on who to try and contact for them and if no luck, I'll have to create something to work. Have no idea if something is missing from the connector/switch Damon, all I can go off of is what's there since I've never seen them before this one. The wires all tuck into their respective channels and then onto the pin but don't think it would matter if I went at them from a different angle as there's nothing underneath them for a few inches when the switch gets snapped back into the center console. I'll figure them out, just wanted to ask if anyone knew where I could obtain the original terminal/connectors for the pins. Thank you sirs.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build