The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013 | 10:36 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I guess we'll see when you've rested and posted pics, but hard to say too much until we see what it looks like. I don't think the metal inside the intake is a big deal, but it does reflect on his effort if he didn't take time to blow it out. I've matched intakes and always had a lot of metal to clean up afterwards.
There are those who feel a rougher port (to a point!) on the intake side helps break up the fuel mixture. I've seen some heads that performed nicely with porting done coarse on intake side, but exhaust ports always need to be as smooth as possible. When I did the heads on my '71 I polished the exhaust to a mirror finish, but left the intake side as they were after grinding them out to fit the gasket.

Old 04-09-2013 | 11:51 PM
|
3rd Gear Member

Here's a start to the pics of these heads and intake. I really wish it was easier to get pics showing the details and I think daylight would help rather than the glare from lights/flash too. Again, I do believe most of the work was completed on these but there's no denying that it was a really rushed job. After 118 days, no excuse why it would've needed to be rushed. I'm going to pull them back apart and do some actual sanding on the exhaust ports and definitely in the bowls and around the guides. I do understand that the intakes should be rougher since it'll be carbureted but this is extreme. I've heard a lot about removing casting flash and small grooves to cut down on the carbon build up also. The flash is gone, but the grooves and gouges are insane! Bottom line is the heads/intake are home now, I certainly earned them back. What I had to pay for this mess (not factoring in the trip down) could never be justified, especially when you're standing over them looking at them. The guy would only cc one chamber and one runner for me and that was enough to infuriate me anyway. I explained countless times that I needed to keep the chamber as close to 64 as possible as my cam requires 10:1 comp min. and the one chamber was almost 70cc. The one runner came in at 212cc and the heads were 190cc. I have no idea if that'll be a major issue or not but seeing as this is a 327 street car, common knowledge is that smaller runners perform better. Not much I can do about it now, I haven't spent enough money on these yet, guess I might as well take them in and have them milled a little to regain some compression. Take a look at the pics and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2754.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2755.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2757.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2763.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2765.jpg  

Old 04-09-2013 | 11:56 PM
|
3rd Gear Member

Here's a couple of the intake.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2768.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2769.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2777.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013 | 12:04 AM
|
3rd Gear Member

Couple more. It's more of a "me" thing but the cosmetic stuff is infuriating. Keep in mind these were brand new.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2741.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2742.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2745.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2728.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2725.jpg  

Old 04-10-2013 | 12:16 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Man, what a job! Does this guy do his handy work only while he's drunk and blindfolded? And I hate to ask what you paid. Well, at least you got them back!

Old 04-10-2013 | 12:38 AM
|
3rd Gear Member

Maximum Effort. I'll just say that with all the money spent combined (heads, porting work and trip to pick up) I could've had a brand new set of AFR's sitting here again. Never what I had set out to do, or spend and I've been taught another painful lesson here. I'm destined to learn the hard way with everything I do on this Camaro project, so I'm pretty much numb to it now.

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 04-10-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2013 | 05:42 AM
Overdrive Member

I'll be honest. They arent as bad as they look. I had a long conversation with him about this very thing. His belief is that the guys who go in with a cart roll and "polish" the runner were way overcharging for what they were going. Now the uneven surface was where he would leave off on lower stages. It was my thought that they would get smoothed with a cart roll after this for his "stage 5" work. Will they run? I bet not as bad as you think. But he truly shorted you and misrepresented his work and I wont even try to accidentally defend this guy. The condition of your heads shows complete lack of care. He flipped and bumped and banged the hell out of someones pride and joy. Not cool. He knew it wouldnt affect the function of the head so he didnt care. SUCKS! I bet they dont flow awful but 212 is a big runner for 327 inches. Spin it to 8500 and you'll be fine.

Old 04-10-2013 | 08:01 AM
|
3rd Gear Member

I have total confidence that these heads will work, just not confident they'll be in line with my main objective. I got an email back in March asking if I wanted the runners opened way up to get maximum potential and be more in line with my FUTURE plan of beefing up the bottom end and going with a roller setup. It was asked if I wanted to just "deal" with the sluggishness for now and have better future performance. I advised ABSOLUTELY NOT as the main/only thing I was trying to gain is maximum bottom end performance with these heads. It was agreed at that time that the runners were not to exceed 200-205cc. Oops. Now the chambers, I must've asked 20 times to please make sure the chambers were not opened up too much. At 64cc the compression with my pistons would be right at 10.35:1 and the cam card has big bold lettering saying that 10:1 minimum was needed, so I made that clear. I got 69 cc chambers. I'll deal with the cosmetic issues, what bothers me as I even called to politely ask that he be careful with the heads and especially new polished intake when he was working on them and I got the whole story on how he uses various methods to ensure my stuff would look the same on the outside as they did when I sent them. It's over now and is what it is, I can clean them up some, but shouldn't have to with what I paid and was told I'd receive. I got ripped off.

Old 04-10-2013 | 09:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
UB, appreciate the tip also sir, thank you. I have tried everything (your suggestion sounds a lot like a Ped Egg) which I've tried and it helps for a day, lol! I'm used to the way it is now so I just do my best. It's almost flip flop season too so I can save on socks!
So I guess you better buy the same socks by the bundle. At least that way you get twice the wear on the bad foot. Another thing I just remembered is that my sisters swear by Vaseline under a pair of socks, probably at night, to soften up the foot skin, but I haven't tried it myself.

Old 04-10-2013 | 10:03 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

From what I see it appears careless and a bit rough, but not as bad as I expected. I understand your disappointment though, as you paid for good work and didn't get it. I don't think 5cc difference in the chambers will make or break your cam, unless you were already under the minimum CR.
I'd be more concerned with the lack of care shown when handling your new heads and intake, than the roughness. The roughness on intake runners is acceptable, but on the exhaust runners it's a source of turbulence not needed, and will eventually clog with carbon and not stay clean.
Is that grease around the valve guides in several pictures, or some sort of sealer he put on the guides?

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build