The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 AM
Overdrive Member

Hey Tim where ya been?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

I've been outside shoveling...

I refuse to complain about my health or the weather anymore but simply to answer your question, I spent some time getting to know the tragically un-attractive nurses at the hospital as a result of my snow removal efforts.

I managed to get up to the salvage yard and they had a 2000 Grand Prix there but it had been pummeled already. They have a thing for broken glass at this yard apparantly. Every windshield on everything has had some type of metal object thrust through it. Needless to say, and unfortuantely, you didn't want the center console outta this one! I think there's 1 or 2 more out there, but they're kinda buried at the present time.

I'm slowly getting some of the grinding done now. Yesterday I got most of the rest of the firewall done and part of the frame. What a mess that's making inside the garage! Can't wait to get back outside to do that stuff.

Aside from yesterday, the Cadi hasn't been moved out of the garage and I'm still trying to get a break inbetween storms to visit the HF in G.R. I thought for sure there would be times where the roads were dry so I could and it just hasn't happened yet! I'm hoping the next few weeks will allow me a chance to do that. I need a vise! ...and some deep impact sockets and big C clamps and ....

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2517.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2520.jpg  

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 02-10-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

I decided to make some good use of the evening hours and start rebuilding my trans. I should've titled this thread the "Dining room Camaro build." Who needs a garage when you've got a dining room anyway? First time doing a rebuild for me and it definitely looks more intimidating that it really is. Only tough part is getting the old bushings out of the output shaft and stator. I decided to do the trans I bought last year just to be safe and I'm glad I did. From what I've ever known to be true about automatic transmissions is that the fluid is supposed to be RED, not like dirty motor oil. This thing wouldn't have gone far if I threw it in the car like originally planned. Front planetary ring gear is shot, has a 2piece rear ring gear that I'm replacing with a 1 piece and the bushings are wasted also. I ordered a Transgo reprog kit and the rebuild kit with a hardened intermediate race and some extra bushings for the sungear. Got the new hard parts coming on Saturday and I'll have this thing back together in no time. Really enjoyable work actually, once the grime is all cleaned off!

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2557.jpg  
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Overdrive Member

Long time. Sorry to hear about the snow deal. I hurt my back shoveling that week too. How is Tony doing with your heads? I havent sent mine to him. I have been sitting here thinking every day if i should but still havent. I may just wait.

Tranny in the kitchen isnt so new to me. I rebuilt my dirt bike in my bedroom as a kid. My parents werent happy.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah the trans in the house definitely isn't new, just keeping in line with all the other stuff I've brought inside to work on. Talked to Tony yesterday and he's trying to finish up the 406 with the Brodix heads so that customer can start racing. I know he has the sonic mapping done on my heads (two videos on youtube) but that's about it right now. We'll see what happens but he should be back working on mine next week. I've learned that his stated timeframes leave a little something to be desired but it's not like I NEED the heads right now anyway. I broke down and ordered a new Hurricane intake yesterday rather than hope my Weiand would work after porting it to a 1205 gasket instead of the 1206. Wish I would've known that 4 months ago. Guess I'll have a backup intake to use on something else, along with the Edelbrock vortec style Performer and 906 vortec heads. Accumulating quite the pile of parts that I intended to use but now can't for one reason or another. Anybody need an intake and/or vortec heads????

*Question* I'm trying to figure out what sized braided fuel line to run from the tank to the mechanical pump. The fittings on the pump are 1/4"npt but the line from the pump to the carb is 3/8". Just not sure if I should run 3/8"I.D. from the tank or not, thinking that's too big? If someone could suggest a suitable sized line that would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 02-22-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:54 AM
Overdrive Member

What kind of power were you looking at again? -6 would probably be enough. I run -8 because I'm a bigger is better guy. I plan on going turbo someday too. -8 is about 1/2" ID. -6 is around 3/8". The fittings can be had with what ever NPT size you need. Mine are 1/4" NPT to -8. I have seen everything imaginable as far as NPT to JIC. When figuring out what size the dash number is, think of it this way. Its the number of 16ths the hose ID is. So -6 is 6/16ths. Or 3/8". -8 is 8/16ths or 1/2".

Old 02-23-2013, 02:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

After I posted the question it dawned on me to actually look online at what the oe sizes are and figured it out. Already have the 1/4" to 3/8" pump fittings. Appreciate the tip about the AN sizes, always wondered about that. Think I'll go with the 3/8 I.D. line as I found a sweet deal for 10' of it for less than $40. Can I run braided hose for my trans lines also? Just smaller I.D.?

Question for the trans builders out there - Is it mandatory to have the pistons machined down to fit 5 frictions and have proper clearances? Might be an impossible question to answer but my forward/direct drums each had 4 in there and I want to run 5 in the direct. I know I could leave the waved apply plate out but not if I don't have to. Haven't got the new frictions/steels yet to do a dry mock up but was just wondering.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Overdrive Member

I am looking a another length of -6 myself. I see it on ebay for way cheaper than I paid at the local Aeroquip dealer. I paid $160 for 20' of -8. Robbery! As for your tranny lines I would use Teflon lined. It is the stuff they make braided stainless brake lines from. I have 50' of that stuff from work.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I'll be getting the teflon lined braided for the fuel line also. I can get the braided lines for less than a new oe replacement (non-stainless) line anyway. Guess I should start looking again before asking another question that I can answer myself faster but with regard to the tranny lines would you go 5/16"? I need to obtain a cooler also and just thought it'd be easier to use braided than have to cut and splice in pieces to steel lines when installing the cooler.

Can't wait to get this trans back together this week. The new hard parts (or should I say hardened parts) will be here tomorrow but the actual rebuild kit won't be here until Wednesday. Wish I could've caught a quick video clip to post on here of my daughter when she saw the trans on the dining room floor. Eyes bugged, chin on the floor, motionless gaze for about 10 seconds and the first words out of her mouth - "You're gonna let me help you work on this RIGHT??" so I say "Yeah, you can do the valve body." Next response from her "I wanna do the WHOLE body!" Good girl, good girl.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Overdrive Member

Funny. I would use -6 for the trans too. Coolers can be had with that size fitting on them. -6 to 1/4npt is common too.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build