The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I spent the night reading and watching his other videos. The video on chamber unshrouding is a good one too Val. I bet your fuelies could use that trick.
My chambers on the old fuelies came unshrouded, but I bet what he does would probably be better. One issue with unshrouding is losing compression. If it's about high end performance, then low end power/torque loss doesn't matter, but since I'm more concerned with low end than high end, I'm not sure I'd want to do much to affect compression and low end performance.
Wish I had done his quarter test before installing my heads, as I didn't pay much attention to how much unshrouding was done.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 01-19-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Overdrive Member

After watching him dump molten aluminum all over his feet. He can come hand with me any day. I have poured, dropped, spilled more molten metal on my body than any one person deserves. I had a bath shoot out a glob once than landed on the back of my neck. I had a sperm shaped scare from it. The funny part was when the metal solidified and rolled down my back into my pants. Still about 400* at this point. Butt naked in a shop full of people, I didnt care.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Ok I recant my previous request for snow. It has dumped on me for four days now. CONSTANTLY snowing. I havent seen the sky in as long either. We got a foot yesterday.

So after talking with Tony I like his work but there are some blanks and some stuff that makes me worry. So I'll ask you guys what EVERONE thinks I should do. I dont meant to litter your thread either Tim, just this is where the head porter conversation started. My motor is assembled with no miles. I was going to tear it down to clean the block after finding shavings packed in the water jackets. I have about 4000 total in it I guess. The heads are Canfield 195cc. They have been decked three times. The valve seats are sunken on a couple chambers. The chambers are down to 59.6cc. This makes getting a pump gas friendly compression ratio tough. They havent ever been ported and this Tony fella says he'll do his stage 4 port job and my intake for $1000. I am not a wealthy person so if I spend that kind of money it better be worth it. Tony the porter seems nice and even honest. But he also left me feeling uneasy. He never once said I can get "X" amount of flow out of your heads. All he said was he will probably open the runners to 210cc and he will shape the port according to my intended use. He says he shapes them different weather it be a drag race or circle track or street motor. If I bring up something like, well I would like to see 285-300 cfm out of them. I get "you know that flow numbers arent everything. A head company's 210cc isnt gonna be the same as my 210cc."

I'm not worried they wont flow. I'm worried they wont flow as good as a new AFR 195cc head that would only cost me another $500 to buy new. I bet I could fine a set for less than that if I tried. Which I havent seriously looked. The bottom line is.

Would you spend $1000. He will port/polish. Fix the sunken valves if there is only a few. He will do his "pumping" where he seals the insides of the water jackets so that corrosion doesnt eat them and break through the port. He will match my intake to the heads. Do a valve job and hand lap the valve guides to a "perfect fit". He will also reshape the combustion chamber and unshroud the valves. (this will get my compression back into check, it was a bit too high) Oh yeah he will flow test them at Mondello's school.

Or buy these and not have to worry about compression anymore and they are almost 300cfm out of the box for $1500ish. Shipped.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

Careful what you wish for eh? I haven't seen the lines on the roads up here in almost a week, they're encased in ice! Watched two cars smack into eachother and proceed on into the ditch right in front of me tonight. Times like this makes me wish I had a plow truck, could've made enough to paint the Camaro in a week!

I myself am a little biased regarding opinions on your heads. We're talking about the same guy that's doing my heads. I can't prove anything yet but have every confidence that the heads are going to flow awesome when they're finished. AFR's do flow great outta the box as everyone knows but that extra $500 could probably be directed toward many many different places. Are you factoring in what you've already got into the Canfields? You're right though, Tony doesn't like to put much emphasis on flow numbers and believes more in how they perform rather than being able to say "they flow x amount." You've got an awesome set of heads that if ported well have mega-potential to outflow AFR's. I completely get your internal strife over making this decision though. If I had the funds, I'd still buy a set of AFR's, not trying to kid anybody. After the Canfields are all repaired and ported they could fetch a pretty penny anyway if you decided to go AFR's later too. Having the intake to match would get you even more. Shouldn't the chamber volume be a good deal higher when he's done working them?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I'd probably sell the Canfields if you don't think they're what you want as they are. Then use those funds and whatever else to buy what you really want. No reason to throw more money at them, and I've found that most buyers wont appreciate the extra work that you had done. I doubt you'd get much more for the Canfields if you spent the extra $1,000, and then sold them to buy AFR's.
I do have one question though....do you remember what your goal is for the car? I think you need to ask yourself if this is a change you need, or if it wouldn't be better to get the car running, and then see if it does what you want, then make a change if needed.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 AM
2nd Gear member

I have some dust sheilds along with a slew of other parts that were taken off my car. Dont know if they are the same between yours and a 70.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Overdrive Member

Good point Val. I have to say I have pondered this. I am a power hog. When I do get real power under my foot it soon wears off. I have gotten used to every "fast" car I ever had. Then wanted more. But thats not to say if I spent the cash I still woulnt want more. In the end I just need to drive it. I spent way too long on this one. I have been shopping paint jobs as well to speed things up. If the body were done it would be a matter of putting it together. I have enough parts to make a driving car. I do believe I have gotten to the point where I am spending to much time trying to build whats in my head instead of getting a car to enjoy and then improving on it.

Last edited by 77nomad; 01-24-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

That's great Sudstoy, the dust shields fit '70-'81's so they would work. Glad to see you're able to get back at your project also! I'll send you a PM about the shields, thanks for letting me know sir.

Good luck with your decision Damon. I'm not going to babble needlessly with my meager amount of knowledge about heads. I know what it's like to be uncertain if I should pull the trigger on a purchase. The positive reinforcement from other people always helps justify doing it lol! Can't believe I'm saying this, but the sun is actually shining here this morning! It's still -8*, but it's nice to know there is still a sun!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Overdrive Member

YEAP! Clear skies and freaking cold. Good to see the sun though. They finally plowed, yippy!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear member

-26F here today

I wont be home for a while 78, just so you know.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build