The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Old 09-18-2015, 11:19 AM
4th Gear Member

yes hear its going to be 70s an 40s soon next week they say ,but i seen time i .had mine out till last week november ,larger jets is what i have.hear ,its been while since i .worked on a carb ,but makes sence bigger ones should help

Old 09-20-2015, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

I went two stages richer on the secondary jets (.101")and used 2 sizes smaller metering rods on the carb today. Man, is it ever close to being dialed in! No stumbling at WOT if I have the revs up a little bit. Still just a little bit if I mash the throttle from a dig, but what a difference on the first go 'round with the rods/jets. Still think the accelerator pump is the issue for what's going on now. Guess I'll try the .104" jets tomorrow since they're all that's left in this kit just to see if it's any better. Not sure if a smaller rod would help any, no issues whatsoever in cruise mode and/or power mode. I found a smaller accelerator pump (smaller meaning able to travel more in the bore and deliver a bigger shot of fuel) today so I might go ahead and obtain one of those. So close I tell ya! There's entirely too much tread on these rear tires still.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Don't know much about the Edelbrock style carbs myself, as I've only owned Holleys. If there's a larger accelerator pump, and nozzle available for them, it should help with the stumble. Jets usually only help to get the engine dialed in at cruise speeds, and have nothing to do with idle, acceleration, or transition.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:57 AM
3rd Gear Member

The acceleration and transition, as well as steady part throttle cruise speed is controlled by the metering rods in these carbs. I used a smaller diameter rod so as to let more fuel past during the lean stage (steady cruise) and the power mode (heavy part throttle.) I've haven't ever had problems with part throttle acceleration nor steady cruise speed but went a stage richer anyway knowing about the lean condition at the upper end. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of fuel economy having it a little bit richer rather than worry about it running too lean. Yesterday was the very first time without a stumble at WOT after the rod and secondary jet change. That was at a higher rpm so I would have to assume the rods/jets helped with the transition from power mode to WOT. Think I'll experiment a little with what's left in this calibration kit since there's only one size bigger on the secondary and a couple of rod and primary jet sizes left in this kit. I just love messing around with those tiny clips on the various linkages while the carb sits atop the engine!

Old 09-30-2015, 02:10 PM
4th Gear Member

sounds like your makeing progress i am learning alot from you guys .still a long way to go ,but being hear for just over a year ,i think i have come a long way.alot of times ,if you learn something from one guy, then its just a matter of passing on that idea to another ,like now i know its pretty hard to put a 427in a 4thgen 3800,not impossible ,but not pratical .smoke them up ,i want to do it when my tires get near time to replace ,an pictures or video ,these days its a waste to do a burn out without something to remember ,like when i did my last one with 350 lt1 in it ,it was like 75 feet of smoke 10 feet high ,cant see through , then my water light came on ,i had over revved it ,an that was the start of my blown head gasket,an cleaning the wheel wells an rubber on the paint takes like 2 hours ,i found the balder they are the better dont end up with chunks of rubber, i should have had a picture of that one though , then now its my rear end ,i got to update.but once i paint the car no burnouts for awhile ,paint cost so much

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-30-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes I did make some progress on the carb tuning. Still haven't tracked down a different accelerator pump as I've been out of town and just returned home yesterday. Before I left I had my son get a video clip of me actually driving the Camaro. He didn't listen very well though. He got video of me idling down the driveway, pulling out and just before shifting into second gear, he stopped the video! Not sure what he was thinking but I had said "I want to see what the car actually looks like driving so stand by the driveway and film as I drive by." I don't like to get crazy right by my house since it bothers me when I see other people driving too fast by the house. I'll get out on the back roads and try again this week hopefully. I need to figure out what pump(s) there are that'll help with a bigger fuel shot as I've seen a lot of them, but not sure which are compatible or not. I'll look around and/or get ahold of Edelbrock this week sometime. Running out of weather in a hurry up here!

Old 10-03-2015, 04:56 PM
4th Gear Member

i hear you on that for me its the end of the road every few years couse there all motor heads ,but yes like you ,i dont like it in the hood either the kids Animals an just commen sence ,i use parking lots with very few cars .,i near found out the hard way one time almost ended up in some trees

Old 11-13-2015, 11:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just thought I'd post a clip from yesterday before I put the Camaro into hibernation. Not much to watch as I ended up tucking my phone in between the seat belt and chest so you gotta turn the volume up. Nothing too crazy, just a little fun before getting back to the house. Not proud of it, but still noses over a bit at WOT. I've learned any time in 1st gear and part of 2nd at WOT the rear end gets really squirrely. Gotta get a set of CalTracs this winter for sure.

The other project for winter planning and spring execution will be the FiTech Fuel Injection setup with their command center. Pretty cool kit, affordable and I won't have to run a return setup for fuel, which I love. Got a brand new carb, plus another that's pretty much new, the calibration kit and shotgun scoop to sell which should pay for at least half of the new kit. Tired of messing with this carb, got it close but with fuel injection all that hassle will be gone. And I can't wait for that! Anyway, for the 2015 summary I'm proud to report that the kids and I finally got the Camaro on the road and had some fun with it this year. Aside from the low vacuum and WOT stumbles, the car really drives nice and smooth considering what I thought it would be like. Couldn't be more pleased with how well the first trans I ever saw the inside of and built operates too. Shifts are crisp and clean at lower speeds and the harder I push the pedal, the firmer the shift. You can hear the tires on 1-2 shift at the end of the clip. All in all it was a good summer, made it to our first show and the kids and I made some good memories doing that. The replacement driveshaft was installed correctly this time and I haven't had any more issues launching it out from under the car, so that's good news. Excited about the fuel injection for spring, adding the CalTracs (and most likely some drag radials) and then getting the body work plan in place and underway will be the goals for 2016. Happy Holidays in advance to everyone! Thanks to everyone that offered their insight, guidance and wisdom helping me get this Camaro on the road this year!!

http://vid1298.photobucket.com/album...psxdmurr3z.mp4

Old 11-14-2015, 12:29 PM
4th Gear Member

sounds great I did something similar before I put my 95 away last month ,there so much torq I also need traction kit too ,but when I got to 2 gear it was sreaming so I shut it down ,when you in the car you don't relize how loud it is ,the windows were open at the house ,an I did hear what was that was not you ,I said just testing it hehehe ,my friends are motor heads so they loved it ,though that cars made for 1/8th mile runs very quick ,its nice to right down what the plans are I do the same on my page to ,though willsee what next year brings,couse I know plans don't allways work out exactly the way we planned them sounds great ,mine shifting nice to ,just before that I had in on the highway an gps it to 120 was enough for me,i relized with my swap I need more time to make it the way It should be ,an running good is one thing its got going good so far,i have not had carb issues ,only think I need to move my electric pump to a better location ,near the back under the car ,there made to push not pull the gas ,I may go with simple inline pump that would go right where my fuel filter is under the car ,its varilable from 3 to 9 psi ,an said work on how you hit the gas electric style too ,the other is just so loud

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 11-14-2015 at 01:01 PM.