My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Pictures look great, so you must have gotten them fixed!
Well the 4 link will surely mess up the paint job! But on the other hand it will definitely take things to the next level, and help it go straight when you've got your foot into the big block!
Probably wont hurt the gaskets to loosen the headers for the starter install. Especially since the engine wasn't started and heated up. I put my headers back on with a few hours running on them, and reused the gaskets with no problem.
That big engine sure looks great in there!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Overdrive Member

Nice. call March. They need to make that right. If I were going your route I would call Detroit Speed. They are second gen guys. Fat man is more of a pretty face. To say yeah is got a four link and coil overs. The DSE kit will put your car on the level of the best Camaros out there. Plus they have pricing on there website. No quotes to wait on. There is another company I can't remeber who right now that make some nice stuff. Like a $10,000 full frame conversion.

www.customworksproducts.com
These guys just came out with a coil over conversion too. For the front that is. I haven't heard of anyone using one yet. Keith he owner has them on his autocross car.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I think Jim Meyers Racing here in Oregon also sells a 4 link kit. From what I've seen of his stuff it's top quality, and prices are reasonable.
Welcome to Jim Meyer Racing Products inc.

Might have to call for application and pricing too.

Here's another for under $2200:
http://scandc.com/new/node/704

Last edited by 1971BB427; 11-08-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Overdrive Member

Yup Chassisworks has one of those 10K frames.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks everyone for the links and the ideas. Fat emailed me back and they no longer offer some of the components I am looking for so I'm on the market for front and rear suspension as well as a wildwood front brake conversion. I'm going to check out the links you sent me when I get onto a computer.

I would like to keep the front and rear suspension from the same supplier just to ensure that both setups work with the other. I will update when I find something. Hotchkis seems to offer what I'm looking for as well.

It's gonna take some research I kinda jumped into the fat products. I will make sure to read up on whatever I buy first.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Might want to look at Heidt's if you want front and rear from the same supplier. Maybe the Heidt's IRS if you want to go really trick!
Heidts Hot Rod & Muscle Car Parts - Suspension Systems, Camaro, Chevy, Ford, Disc Brakes, Superide

Their online catalog has all sorts of eye candy for cars!
http://www.heidts.com/products.html

Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Overdrive Member

My vote is Detroit Speed. They have more than a pretty face. There stuff is made to be abused.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 AM
2nd Gear member

Well i havent dont anything since November on my car and I finally have the bug back in me. (has nothing to do with the fact my friend just bought a 2010 Hennessey charged camaro with 500+rwhp)

Since i last posted on here i litterally havent touch the car except to move my other project i bought onto the hoist. If anyones interested in toyota 4x4s click below. Mines not much of a toyota anymore though Body and diffs is all.
http://www.yotatech.com/f198/sudstoy...thread-253493/

Back to the Camaro...

We have decided to keep the suspension stock for now, although it does have new leafs and springs. Im not going to do the frame conversion at this time.

I did manage to get the rear end back in but have the wrong rubber isolators. Months and Months ago ordered the correct?? ones but still havent taken them out of the bag to see.

Yesterday ordered a wilwood master cylinder and proportioning valve. Also ordered a new steering box from www.classicperform.com in hopes of crisping it up a bit. This car will never be a canyon carver but i would like it to feel slightly better then a Kenworth when driving it.

The old man will get home in three days and is going to measure the stock from brake disk. If the car does in fact have 11" front rotors i will be ordering the 12.88" wilwood big brake conversion with 6 piston calipers immediately.

I am in the first half of a hitch at work but when i do get home i am have a couple goals in mind that i want to get completed.

They are as follows:
1. Finish the alternator support braket that will finish up the March pulley kit
2. Mount in the new rad and fab up something for the transmission cooler to get it mounted
3. Run the engine coolant hoses
4. Finish the small amount of wiring for the ignition and distributor
5. Get start put in and wired up

I figure if i set small goals each time i wont get overwhelmed with the amount of work remaining.

I do really really really wanna do the firewall but im not prepared to yank the engine out again before i get to drive it a couple of times.

For those of you that are reading this that have ongoing threads that i used to follow, when i get some time i will try to catch back up to speed on how you are doing. One of you has the firewall done and it looks fantastic, i will be paying close attention to that if i ever get to that point.

Thanks for reading!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 AM
2nd Gear member

An old question has came to my mind again about my car.

Does anyone know if i can use my MSD box with my distributor? I have a 6AL box i believe. Some people tell me that i need a box and some people say i cant use the MSD box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Glad to see you're getting back on the Camaro. I was wondering what had happened to you and the project!
You can use an MSD 6AL on almost any distributor. The MSD comes with 20 pages of instructions to cover just about any distributor and car, but some may require an optional module to work with certain tachs.
You can go to Summit and bring up the 6AL, then click on the instructions and read/print them to see what all works. I just bought a used 6AL from CL and put it in my Austin. Did the printout at Summit and it was easy to connect to mine with the great instructions.

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build