Help with 2 mystery wires!! (79' camaro underhood)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Default Help with 2 mystery wires!! (79' camaro underhood)

I am rebuilding this 79'.. I have the motor and tranny back in but soon realized that something wasn't right... I cant find any alternator wires besides the battery "hot". The only wires I found are 2 red (1-10ga 1-12ga) mystery wires that come from the same part of the harness that the alternator plug and wire comes from... Could some one tell me if these wires are suppose to lead to the starter?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Insainhouserecords
I am rebuilding this 79'.. I have the motor and tranny back in but soon realized that something wasn't right... I cant find any alternator wires besides the battery "hot". The only wires I found are 2 red (1-10ga 1-12ga) mystery wires that come from the same part of the harness that the alternator plug and wire comes from... Could some one tell me if these wires are suppose to lead to the starter?
Afraid it would be hard to tell you if those are the correct wires for sure, without knowing if anything has been altered at some time. The original wires going to the starter ran in a plastic cable channel across the top of the firewall, and someone may have tucked the ends back into the channel to protect them while pulling the engine. I believe you'll find one large 12 ga., and a smaller 14ga. or 16ga. that connect to the starter solenoid. The large one is pink if I remember correctly, and small is possibly dark blue?
Normally the red wires are battery hot wires.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Overdrive Member

A picture would help. But an easy way to do this is the fuseable links will go to the starter. The purple wire goes to the small terminal and trigger the starter. There is one that runs from the starter to the alt.

This is how I roll on my wiring. I HATE fuseable links. HATE! It goes back to my teenage years before I knew much about anything. I dont like laying on my back with crap dropping in my eyes while I probe the wire to check them. Let alone trying to change one. My own cure was to get a 150A breaker and I mounted it on the fire wall by the booster. There are two fuseable links that "usually" come from the harness are terminated at the breaker. I have a 8g from the starter to the breaker. The breaker serves as a power distribution block now. I have the 8g to from the alt to the starter too. I also have a 140A alt. So 8g isnt really overkill. You could use 10g. Its cheaper to grab 8g in a Car stereo kit. Its more flexible and comes with terminals.

In the end I like having the block on the firewall. I can put the breaker in test and kill the power but still roll the starter with a trigger. Easy to run valves and what not without starting the engine.