First Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Default First Project

ok so its my first project if anyone has any usefull places to find parts let me know.

79 camaro 383 stroker automatic

78 camaro z28 T-top "350-4speed"

I plan on fixing up the Camaro as a daily driver and Restoring the z28.

The camaro rear frame rails are gond and the z28 will take replacment skins for the rear wheel wells.

I want to find a 4speed to put into the z28 and take the 383 out of the camaro. once the z28 is drivable I plan to repair the frame on the camaro and put a 350 in it.

Any usefull links will be appreciated. I will need alot of parts I think I have a little more then 1 full car between the 2 witch will be used to fix up the camaro where the z28 will go new.

I dont have the original motor or tranie for eather car. Camaro may be original tranny. So keeping it original is the last thing on my mind. This will be my custom classic.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

With a spare car, you should have plenty of parts, but since you're going to keep both, you'll be buying even more parts! You need to start by making a parts list for yourself, and write up plans for both cars. Once you've got the plan and the parts list, you can post here so people can help point you in the right direction.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM

Yep decided to only fix the z28 going new upgraded brakes leaf springs shocks and front end bushings. cant decide about the leaf springs most likely will go stock new replacment and upgraded shocks. I dont want to raise or lower the car but keep factory hight.

I will buy 2 new black leather buckets and redo the back seat. carpet and headliner I found "T-top"

The problem Im having is the dash I cant find parts anywhere I would really like to go black interior also. Camaro interior is in nice shape but its not the same as the z28 and is also red like the Z. I think a few of the parts are the same.

So if anyone knows what im looking at for the interior of the 78 z28 please help. "most isnt even their car was gutted when purchesed"

Im considering using as much of the red stuff as possible and dying it but from my experence I will be re dying it every week. Any sugestions on the inside of the car would be great.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 PM

hmm maybie you guys can help me here? Got the Z basically striped to the frame now and am going over my options for all the surface rust. It seems that my best option is Chassis saver since I am not comfortable trying to seal it myself with paint. My problem is I was going to sand blast the frame before using the Chassis saver but read that this may cause it to peel off in sheet becouse it is designed specificly to stick to the rust.

Should I skip the sand blasting? Pay someone to spray it? Or is their another home product I can use that will stick well to the sand blasted surface?

I would rattle can it but I also heard that it is not a good sealent and will start to rust again in no time.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by hitman
hmm maybie you guys can help me here? Got the Z basically striped to the frame now and am going over my options for all the surface rust. It seems that my best option is Chassis saver since I am not comfortable trying to seal it myself with paint. My problem is I was going to sand blast the frame before using the Chassis saver but read that this may cause it to peel off in sheet becouse it is designed specificly to stick to the rust.

Should I skip the sand blasting? Pay someone to spray it? Or is their another home product I can use that will stick well to the sand blasted surface?

I would rattle can it but I also heard that it is not a good sealent and will start to rust again in no time.
Best thing I've found for a sand blasted or cleaned surface is good old Rustoleum. I've done several cars with it and it holds up great. I've never painted it over anything really rusty, but even a little surface rust seems to not be an issue with it. Just did my present build with it, and brushed it on. If you are spraying with a gun it should be thinned with acetone, which will make it spray easier and dry harder. Check the label for the ratio.