CRU!NCH TIME - 73 Z28 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Overdrive Member

I was gonna buy one this year but will have to wait for next years tax return. Got a parts washer instead.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I've always wanted one. It was only $89 from Harbor freight. I love that store. If you've never been to one track one down and go it's amazing.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Overdrive Member

Not far from here. 40 min or so. I get there catalogs at work too.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I have bought a lot from there. some stuff is junk but most I find works just as well as the really expensive tools.
So Did you get your rear differential put back together?

Old 04-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I bought an air long board, and sander from HF when I was doing the bodywork on the Camaro. Figured if it would last through the job I'd be happy, and at the price I didn't care. Also bought a bottle of Lucas air tool oil, and oiled them daily before starting use.
When I was done they were still running, and since then I've loaned them to two other friends, along with the oil and info on daily oiling. I'm still using them on the current project, and amazed at around $30 ea. they're still going strong!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Overdrive Member

The rear end... Well I haven't had a chance. I was gonna have a nice night with the family but that when bad with my wife. She bailed. I was here with my boys and I won't put them in bed and go out to the garage. They're too young for that.

Plus it was raining again and the seal under the garage door doesn't keep water out. I put the car right at the edge by the door. Then it heads for the drain right under the car. Today I have to finish raking the wet leaves, awesome. Its different having neighbors who care about there grass. Now mine is worst because it was neglected while the house was empty.

I'm trying for tonight. Can't do it tomorrow, the Easter Bunny is coming.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Yesterday was a good day I got some work done on the wiring. I am going to use the original steering wheel and column so there are a lot of connectors I need off the original underdash wiring harness. But I'm using the fuse box and Instrument panel (IP) harness from the 97 z28 So I spent the day hacking up the original harness. I didn't take any pictures it's kind of boring but I will of the finished product.

Check out these awesome air shocks my dad had put on here back in the day.
DSC00840.jpg?t=1303654373
He used to air them up so the back end was all jacked up. I wish he had pictures of it I wish I could have seen that.

So when I bought the LT1 off ebay it came with the rack and pinion. I wish I had the skills to make this thing work too.
DSC00843.jpg?t=1303654373
However I am going to use that p/s pump with the gear box I'm starting to wonder how thats going to work. I know the pump puts out the same pressures and what not but I may have to mess with the valving in the pump... Guess I'll have to cross that bridge when it comes

Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Overdrive Member

The pump will work fine. I've looked into it. Most late GM pumps are all the same. Caviler to Camaro. I think its the same pump. As for the rack, duit-duit. Two brackets off the center of the crossmember should hold it. I wish I had pics of my Nova. I was into home brewed mods back then. I put a Chevette rack on it. The geometry was WAY off and it was dicey when I got out of it but I did it myself with no kit just imagination. The moto of me and my buddies is "modify of die." Send it to me I'll rig it up lol. I got a new welder that I haven't used.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Might not be insurmountable to put R&P in it. I'd measure it up compared to the tie rod ends and see how thw width compares, and steering input shaft location compared to your column shaft. Then it would be fabbing up a mount for the R&P, and connecting it to the same locations as the tie rods.
It would definitely be cool, and maybe a search on the net might show if someone else has done it, or offeres a kit to do it.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Here is a bit of info on that one.

2nd Gen Camaro Steering Rack options

Quick Reply: CRU!NCH TIME - 73 Z28 Build