CRU!NCH TIME - 73 Z28 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I like chevy 2's and vega's. I like the vega's more for drag racing though!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ole Blue '74
I like chevy 2's and vega's. I like the vega's more for drag racing though!
Interesting... I was talking about Las Vegas lol.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Oh well...

Well I barley missed my Goal/deadline I set for myself. Which was to have the LT1 in the car and run by July 1st. It was due mostly cause I ordered the wrong fittings from summit for the fuel lines. I ordered the wrong fuel filter adapters and the wrong adapter to the EFI fuel tank. I could have just sprayed brake clean down the intake to get it to fire but I also haven't finished some of the wiring for the ignition switch, and I can't find my VATS bypass module. Really it's only going to take take a couple hours to rig up the remaining little details to fire it up.

I was thinking that I wanted to weld up all the seems and grind them smooth... Yeah It took me like 4 hours to do 2 feet. so I decided it wasn't worth it since you can't even see the subframe except in a few places. But what I did does look nice.

Name:  DSC01073.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  60.4 KB

Then after I sand blasted it AGAIN!! Ahh I hate sand blasting now!

Name:  DSC01074.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  58.8 KB

I did this side too and thats about it.

Name:  DSC01075.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  DSC01076.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  65.7 KB

I picked up the subframe from Specialty Coatings (Windsor CO) He talked me into going with the gloss black, which I was against at first. But I'm glad I went with it Cause dam! it looks sooooooo Good I looks so smooth and slick. everyone that sees it has to touch it cause it looks so good lol.

Name:  DSC01085.jpg
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  DSC01080.jpg
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  DSC01082.jpg
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  DSC01087.jpg
Size:  51.2 KB

Don't you wish you could just touch it?

Here is the easy one man install

Name:  DSC01090.jpg
Size:  74.5 KB

Solid body mount bushings

Name:  DSC01091.jpg
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  DSC01092.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  DSC01093.jpg
Size:  82.1 KB

Lots of black under there thats for sure.

Name:  DSC01095.jpg
Size:  97.1 KB

I opened up the clam shells to the original motor mounts blasted and painted them black slapped in the energy suspension poly mounts and bolted to the subframe.

Now it's time for a little engine and transmission install action. it was pretty difficult to get the holes to line up with the new mount. A little finesse was necessary.

Name:  DSC01108.jpg
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  DSC01110.jpg
Size:  106.4 KB

The transmission crossmember I made in action here.

Name:  DSC01121.jpg
Size:  100.9 KB

I based the design off the original cross member. However I discovered a problem. I located the transmission mount perch at the same height as the original just on the opposite side. The transmission mount is located on the transmission case and not the extension housing... So basically the transmission is about a 1/2" to 1" to high and it's contacting the floor.

Name:  DSC01122.jpg
Size:  66.6 KB

So I'm glad I didn't send this thing out to be powder coated with the subframe I was kind of expecting this, more modification is required. I may start over from scratch. we shall see.

I put the engine harness on the engine with the engine computer. Followed by the radiator support

Name:  DSC01111.jpg
Size:  107.1 KB

The forward engine harness.

Name:  DSC01118.jpg
Size:  107.0 KB

Oh man that harness is big and nasty looking. I'll clean that up later though so no worries.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Heres the mess I got going on inside.

Name:  DSC01120.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  153.5 KB

I have almost every module for the car. I just need the Daytime Running light Module (DRL) and I'll have them all. You can see the ABS and Traction control Computer on the driverside floor and the BCM is on the passenger which can't be see in the pic.

Here is the Earl's Pro-Lite 350 hose (20ft) and fittings I was talkin about.

Name:  DSC01077.jpg
Size:  116.7 KB

here's hooked to the LT1 fuel rail.

Name:  DSC01114.jpg
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  DSC01116.jpg
Size:  97.6 KB

So thats were I'm at now. I'm taking a few more days off work so I should be able to crank this thing over and get some noise. I'll take a video. I ordered hopefully the correct fittings this time which I pry wont get till next friday.

So ABS and Traction control is on it's way to being reality!

I am going full speed ahead with the ABS. This car WILL have abs and it's actually going to be easier than you would think. Well at least it's easy for me haha. I just need to get the afx spindles, axles shortened and resplined, and
ABS/Tractions control pump. then it's a matter up plumbing and done. I knew I had to do some measuring and comparing of the 73 and 2000 axles. I measured the OD of the axle were the bearing rides and it's the same and the OD of the shaft and spines and they are the same OD as well. now just to find someone to cut these things down to size and re-spline. it's funny they are actually have the same spline. I put the 2000 Trans Am axle in the 73 axle housing and it fit right in the splines, to bad it wasn't shorter. I haven't set a goal date yet but brakes are next after the engine and wiring situation is a little more wrapped up. I would estimate I might be able to go-kart this thing around the neighbor hood by winter.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Overdrive Member

Man I could lick that sub frame. I'm getting ready to weld the seams on my, I wasn't delusional enough to think I was gonna smooth the welds. LOL Good progress, too bad you didn't make your date. I'm glad you got a handle on the wiring. I'm an electronics major and it gives me the *******. Well off to mow my grass.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Man I could lick that sub frame. I'm getting ready to weld the seams on my, I wasn't delusional enough to think I was gonna smooth the welds. LOL Good progress, too bad you didn't make your date. I'm glad you got a handle on the wiring. I'm an electronics major and it gives me the *******. Well off to mow my grass.
the subframe is my favorite part now. I wish I wasn't so in a hurry to get this thing on the road i would have put in the days it would have taken me to weld and grind all the seams to perfection. But it's hardly visible. I put a lot of pressure on myself to make the deadline, now that i didn't make it I'm NOT really disappointed I'm actually happy that I've made as much progress as I have since I've been "talking" about working on the car for over 10 years lol. I love the wiring part I enjoy the quiet time sitting down with wiring diagrams and making connections, lol good stuff.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like a twisted mind! I've known a few people who love the wiring, but very few! Did it all my life, and don't mind it, but I'd rather be doing the mechanicals on the car than the wiring!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Sounds like a twisted mind! I've known a few people who love the wiring, but very few! Did it all my life, and don't mind it, but I'd rather be doing the mechanicals on the car than the wiring!
LOL, yeah I get comments like that all the time. I took a couple electronics classes in high school so I've had a good understanding of basic and advanced electronics at an early age. Then electrical training from two automotive schools. While I was Going to automotive school I was a Car stereo and security/remote start installer for 2 years. Plus advanced electrical diagnostics training from GM. I guess when you know something well enough you can't help but like it when it comes easy. Mechanicals are easy enough too I guess since that's what I do for a living but I guess I do so much mechanical stuff through out the day it's not as fun. When it comes to my project that is. But I guess it's all fun when it comes to the project car.

I would like to go back to school for body work and painting at the local community college. To me body work is more of an art, than a mechanical/technical skill that can easily be learned. Body work is perfected through years of doing. Just my thoughts on the subject.

I think I forgot to post a pic of the dash and center console test fitting so I Thought I'd share it now.

Name:  DSC01050.jpg
Size:  108.2 KB

the shifter and park brake brackets

Name:  DSC01051.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  DSC01052.jpg
Size:  144.1 KB

I'm excited to start on interior when the time comes.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Overdrive Member

Cutting the tunnel out of a late model is a great idea.

Quick Reply: CRU!NCH TIME - 73 Z28 Build