Central Oregon 78

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Central Oregon 78

Well I had hoped that one of the powers from above would have moved my other thread that was started over to projects but that didn't happen. So I'll start over.

We purchased a 1978 Camaro, My first Camaro. I've had several hot rods when I was younger (wish I had them now, they are all classics), After I was married just never had money or time to have that type of car. Now I'm retired on a small farm here in Central Oregon. So now I have time.

Just finished up our 97 Jeep Wrangler so the Camaro is the next project. The Jeep took 5 years doing just a little at a time. The Camaro will be a slow project over several years doing what I can as I can afford it. Most of the work will be done in winter months when the farm is slow.

I have been driving the Camaro a little just to see where I'm at. This first winter I'm going to try and get as much of the interior done as possible starting with the Dash. The dash pad will have to come off as its not worth putting a cap on. Then new rear deck, carpet, seats door panels and so forth. In the future it will get new mortor and trans, wheels, tires and the driverside front fender will be replaced and a new cowl hood. For the most part the car is in pretty good shape with no rust. So here are some pics of what we are starting with.

Attached Thumbnails Central Oregon 78-dsc00540.jpg   Central Oregon 78-dsc00541.jpg   Central Oregon 78-dsc00545.jpg   Central Oregon 78-dsc00546.jpg   Central Oregon 78-dsc00542.jpg  

Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 PM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Here is the cowl tag.

Attached Thumbnails Central Oregon 78-dsc00548.jpg  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

On friday I stopped at our local wrecking yard looking for for a fan for the motor, and endend up finding these seats in the back of a pickup bed with a peice of plywood over them. took them home and cleaned them up and this is what i got. Not bad for $50. They had just crushed a 2nd gen camaro and didn't bother to take anything out of it. I told him what the tail lights were worth if not broken and he about had a cow.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

very nice find on the seat. there are still good hidden treasures out there.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You've probably got a much better chance of finding good 2nd gen Camaro parts near Culver than I do in Portland. Most the wrecking yards here have scrapped out or been picked through for decent parts, so it's tough.
Now that you have a nice rear set you can easily reupholster the fronts with a kit from National Parts Depot. They sell a matching set of covers to those rears for $250. I'm planning on doing my fronts this winter, as they are starting to show a little wear.
I've looked for some decent black buckets at the local yards, but they want a fortune for anything nice. Usually around $350-$400 a pair. I got a whole interior (fronts and backs) of dark gray leather, with power buckets for my '69 Suburban for that price off Craigslist, but can't find a similar black set for the Camaro.
Your car looks great! Not sure why they moved some "project threads" to this forum, but then left several in the 2nd gen forum???? Seems strange at the least.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Had gone to the GM Media Archive site and ordered the factory invoice and it came in the mail today. Some surprizes and some disapointments. The car is orginal to Oregon, selling new in Salem. We were hoping the car was an RS but its just a standard sport coupe. Car came with several up grades which was nice to see, but the one thing it did not tell me was what the rear end was. I dont think the one that is in it is orginal but I would like to know what came from the factory. I can't find any numbers on the rearend so when I have time I'll pull the rear cover and just take a look.

I was glad I got the invoice just to see about the car.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I've spent the last couple of weeks just ordering parts off the internet and ebay, got a pretty good pile going. New dash plus several of the underdash plastic parts, rear tray w/jute, sail panels, and some other small parts, got the rear seats out of a wrecking yard. Still need carpet and rear quarter panels, and head liner. Still not sure if I'm gonna stay with the orginal seats or go with something after market. Not going to be able to start on car till November as I still have 10 days at state fair starting next week and then in Oct I have my daughters wedding, and hopefuly get to do a few days of deer season the last of Oct. I also ordered 2 of the camaro Resto books off Amazon, looking foward to looking at them.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like you're getting close to starting!
You must be hunting West, if you're going late October! We'll be all done by the end of the first week of October in Eastern Oregon.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Didn't get my draw for over here so I jump over the hill and hunt the west side.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 AM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Found these yesterday in a wrecking yard, out of a probe. Cost was only $50. Leather and drivers seat is electric, and all functions work. They are very comfortable, even my wife likes them. I will have to remake the mounts to make them work in the camaro, and add a hot wire.

Attached Thumbnails Central Oregon 78-dsc00571.jpg  

Last edited by Shalamara; 08-19-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Central Oregon 78