Alaskan Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So... I've been thinking...which is dangerous..

WnP 2 Wheel Drive S10 S15 Blazer Jimmy 3" inch Lifted Front Spindle 2wd Lift Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive WnP 2 Wheel Drive S10 S15 Blazer Jimmy 3" inch Lifted Front Spindle 2wd Lift Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

would this community dissown me if i were to lift and put off road tires on a camaro?.

I like to be different..

Is it donking if the rims are 15" and the tires are 31"s?

I do live in alaska, and i drive mostly in winter.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Overdrive Member

I'll see your 3' lift and raise you another 12. But not really original at all.

Name:  127.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  102.9 KB
Name:  126.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  148.6 KB

Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ive seen lifted 4x4 camaros.. i have not seen a lifted 2wd camaro.. and i just want it to look a little beefy.. plus with our roads here lowered is not a good idea.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Overdrive Member

How about pre-runner style. Those guys take 2wd pick up and put 24" of suspension travel under them. The only Camaro known to man that could drive away from a full on Dukes of Hazard jump. Long travel A-arms and all that. See how the arms pivot is almost under the opposite side of the truck? Now that would be different. Specially since the suspensions are soft and the vehicle sits low.

Name:  chevy2wd_1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  21.5 KB

Heres a first gen. Kind of full on though. But James Gardener did it in a Olds 442 so anything can be done with a welder and some dollars.

Last edited by 77nomad; 01-19-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have seen the grabber 442 and thats exactly how I want to do it. i dont have the dollars to go all out but i can lift it add extra shocks front and rear and maybe some heavy duty bump stops.. its going to get weld in subframe connectors. i wish i could get a cage for it but no one will ship me one of the premade cage kits. I'm looking into making one but its not exactly something a novice can do. I do have friends who might be able to help but i'll have to ask them.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Overdrive Member

Cages are easy. Just remember when joining to angles. If the first one is say 30* then you will have to cut a 60* on the other pipe in order for them to meet tight. Or if its 56* the other is 34*. They have to add up to 90. There is included angle but thats the same just working off 180*.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm pretty sure i could make the cage, its the lack of decent welder and tubing bender. Also there isnt any good sources for DOM around here..
my offroad buddies know where to get some tubing that would work well enough but once again its a money issue.

there is still A LOT i have to do before i start modifying anything. but im making plans. depending how much my tax return is im going to get some better heads or something else probably a weather seal kit.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Another issue I thought of today was that the 442 most likely had a body lift on it. Theres no way to do a body lift because the rear frame rails are welded in.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the crabber 442 had pretty much a complete custom frame. though it didnt look like there was a body lift

All Pages: Grabber Oldsmobile 442 - Hot Rod Magazine

i dont expect it to take any serious jumps but if i can drive 100 mph on dirt or sand ill be happy. unless i get creative with shocks it will have about 9" total travel..

ive also thought about how to make it awd.. I suspect it would not be that difficult to adapt the front subframe from an awd astrovan to a 2nd gen camaro. ill have to go look at my dads van and see how it all goes together. i know the trans and transfer case could stay as the sbc would bolt to it.

if i know chevy it would be a pretty much bolt in afair.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by AKleprecon
the crabber 442 had pretty much a complete custom frame. though it didnt look like there was a body lift

All Pages: Grabber Oldsmobile 442 - Hot Rod Magazine

i dont expect it to take any serious jumps but if i can drive 100 mph on dirt or sand ill be happy. unless i get creative with shocks it will have about 9" total travel..

ive also thought about how to make it awd.. I suspect it would not be that difficult to adapt the front subframe from an awd astrovan to a 2nd gen camaro. ill have to go look at my dads van and see how it all goes together. i know the trans and transfer case could stay as the sbc would bolt to it.

if i know chevy it would be a pretty much bolt in afair.
Going 100 mph on the dirt will get you some serious jumps, whether you plan them or not!
9" of travel will never happen with stock front suspension and rear springs. You're looking at a total rework of suspension, and with this plan you better start looking at a good welder for the mods you're talking.