Alaskan Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013 | 03:15 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

I work at oriellys.. so i dont shop at napa lol

i did some research and the sockets in my 81 are different than the older f bodys.

they use this stupid type.

either way i ordered a complete used tail light harness. ill make it work

Old 11-01-2013 | 01:32 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

so today i picked up a Holley 600 cfm with electric choke. all the necessary parts to mount it, and some fresh spark plugs. some time in the next few days most of the parts will be showing up and ill start working on it again.

last couple days I've been doing a full stereo system install on my brothers truck, should net me some extra cash but man its been a project. head unit, all 6 speakers 2 amps and a sub.

Old 11-01-2013 | 09:55 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

So instead of checking your own inventory at Oreilly's, you ordered a used harness?
They're $7.99 at Oreilly's.
Part # PT108
Line: BWD

Old 11-01-2013 | 02:59 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
So instead of checking your own inventory at Oreilly's, you ordered a used harness?
They're $7.99 at Oreilly's.
Part # PT108
Line: BWD
I did check those, and here they are $9.49 but there is only one store in the state of alaska that has them and its a bit of a drive.. plus most of the sockets on my harness are crap. so getting a good used one is a better option. by the time i bought all the sockets and solder and heat shrink to replace the sockets on mine it would cost more than the used harness I bought.. And it wont look like someone Frankenstein'd it.

I spend alot of time looking through our system for parts for my camaro.
but being in Alaska limits me on what I can get. if our warehouse in Washington doesn't have it I cant get it.

Old 11-02-2013 | 11:28 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've steered clear of used wiring, as it's the same age as whatever you already have, and usually not a lot better. If it's good, then chances are it isn't much better, and may end up failing soon.
If properly soldered and heat shrunk, a new harness does take a lot of time, but wont look like a Frankenstein unit when done. I actually enjoy making up new wiring, and have totally rewired the last three cars I built from scratch. When it's done everything is new, and you know it's all done right.
It's a sickness, but I still like it!

Old 11-03-2013 | 12:39 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I've steered clear of used wiring, as it's the same age as whatever you already have, and usually not a lot better. If it's good, then chances are it isn't much better, and may end up failing soon.
If properly soldered and heat shrunk, a new harness does take a lot of time, but wont look like a Frankenstein unit when done. I actually enjoy making up new wiring, and have totally rewired the last three cars I built from scratch. When it's done everything is new, and you know it's all done right.
It's a sickness, but I still like it!

I enjoy wiring also, but with the ammount of it i have to do if i can jut plug in a new tail light harness and have it work thats the route im going.

In other news my door popper control unit showed up today ao monday im going to start wiring it in so i can open my doors with the window up.

Old 01-10-2014 | 03:17 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Well long time no update!

Since my last update I've gotten the carb and ignition sorted, she runs like a top.also got the trans some what figured out, she drives pretty good too.

got my door poppers all wired and they work beautifully. though im going to order another system for that, i have to cycle through 12 different outputs on my remote to get the door open.

Now im just in the process of ordering parts and waiting. ive got wiper arms, bumper retaining strips and sill plates on order right now.

I've been stacking parts in preperation for warmer weather.

living in alaska really limits me on what i can order from who. year one and classic industries want multiple limbs for shipping

Old 01-12-2014 | 10:35 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

made more progress on the camaro, got most of the lights working. only ones left are the ones i didnt have bulbs for.

also, think my starter sounds healthy?.. i dont.. maybe just needs shimming but it really sounds like there are a few teeth missing.. after all there is no inspection cover..

Old 01-13-2014 | 09:52 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It may only be the starter gear, but if it's been doing it very long it can quickly eat up the flexplate. Get the starter off and look at the bendix gear, and if you don't have a flywheel tool to turn the engine I'd get one. Makes inspection easier, and they're only about $20.
Part #2270 at your Oreilly's

Old 01-14-2014 | 02:12 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

I replaced the starter already, the teeth I've looked at look good actually, I'm going to play with shimming it. it makes horrible noise and then grinds and then horrible noise and grinds, Im not too worried about it. I'm planning on a higher stall converter so if I need a new flex plate its not too bad.

I'll have to see if i can even get that tool, would provide very useful.

In other news all the parts I ordered showed up today, I now have rear bumper retaining strips door sill plates and wiper arms/blades.

also got more bulbs and pigtails to get all the lights working.