79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:11 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I'm still at it, just been waiting on my favors. I finally had to just about go bonkers on them to get things moving again.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Overdrive Member

I never wondered really. I have seen you here and there on the different forums. I think I better get my but in gear now.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:05 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Car should be painted soon. Bodywork is essentially done. We are going to paint the shell first, then move on to the pieces. Plan is to get the shell done, move it back to my garage, the engine is supposed to be done by this weekend as well so we are going to get the car back, get the engine in it, and then as we paint the rest of the items we can put the pieces back together. Got some wiring to finish, some fuel line to run and electronics to set up. I'm still looking for a Holley Dual Feed Mechanical Secondary 750 carb and a th350 deep oil pan.

Name:  IMG_2707_zpsb77da6a3.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2708_zps43278dc2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2706_zpsf6035183.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2709_zps73ef93e3.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2710_zps57933305.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  49.4 KB

We are going to put this Slime all over everything that we don't want to get overspray on.

Name:  IMG_2712_zpsd91fe9f9.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2716_zps7de2b648.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2713_zps8212577e.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  62.3 KB

Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Looking great! How does the slime work? Do you wash it off when you're done painting?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I guess that my FIL used it alot at one of his last companies. You just put it in an old paintgun and spray it on anything that you don't want overspray to stick on, engines, etc. Once you are done it just gets hosed off, and turns to like a soap. It costs around $35 a gallon, and he used about a quart to coat the firewall, frame, wheelwells, and entire underside of the car. I'll blow my car off after hosing it off with an airhose, don't want anything rusting.

I think one night this weekend it gets painted, he is working alot of hours during the week, he likes to do this stuff out of his garage after 11:00 PM so the neighbors are sleeping and won't call the cops. Got to love living in town.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Overdrive Member

Steve! Whats up man? Still at it I see. Glad your coming into the stretch. At least someone around here is. I'm stuck on my project for a bit but its getting there. I actually thatough about working on it this week.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Still at it, a bit less me at this point than others. My FIL has been doing the bodywork, we moved the car over to his house, that allowed him to get after it whenever he felt like it. Generally at 11:00 at night I guess, when he could not sleep, he'd go out in his cut off shorts and do bodywork, go in and shower at 2 or 3 in the morning and hit the hay again.

Just the shell is getting painted at this point, he is going to do the doors next, then the trunk fenders, then the hood and as he gets the parts done we'll be putting it together.

Supposedly the engine will be done by the time the car comes back to my house and I can get the engine and trans in it before the panels go on. Still got the painless wiring harness to finish up, I've got a new set of OEM tail light lens to put on some tail lights, some door panels to put together and interior to put on. I should be able to just start putting the car together for good once it comes back. Seems like I've had it together and apart again 3 times, mainly just for something to do to keep motivation I would say.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Overdrive Member

Your motor still isnt in your possession? Thats got to be a record. I know its was a trade deal so I guess it doesnt matter but man I have been burned so many times that I now hold on to engine parts like my nutz. I lost a new crank and a fresh 4 bolt block to my "best" friend. I still havent recovered 6 yrs later. I want to kill him on sight but the satisfaction of knowing all of our friends no longer speak to him either helps.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Your motor still isnt in your possession? Thats got to be a record. I know its was a trade deal so I guess it doesnt matter but man I have been burned so many times that I now hold on to engine parts like my nutz. I lost a new crank and a fresh 4 bolt block to my "best" friend. I still havent recovered 6 yrs later. I want to kill him on sight but the satisfaction of knowing all of our friends no longer speak to him either helps.
Heck, even your enemy wouldn't steal a guy's block and crank! That sucks!

Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I am absolutely disgusted in the whole deal actually. I know the engine is done well, but to be honest, I have absolutely ZERO respect for anyone who can't just get off their rear end and DO something. To be fair he did just have his wife leave him and has kids in another marriage that the ex is trying to make him not have any custody at all with. I don't know though. I am under the opinion that you reap what you sow. It would be a lifetime of bad decisions to be in that situation.

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project