1979 Original Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Overdrive Member

I have the same interior/exterior but with standard seats, I have a door handle off a new Camaro thats Switchblade Silver. Its almost the same as your original color but with a ton more flake. I shop summit and a place called competition products for my engine parts. They're out of Minnesota I believe.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I was thinking about getting this rebuild kit. What do you think?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-SBCKIT1-000/

I started the tear down of the motor, heads are off, pistons and cam still in. Everything looking good.

What is some upgrades I should do on my 350 while I rebuild it? I'm thinking cam for sure. What size 4brl carb and intake should I go with? Also need a new distributer and wires and going to run all synthetic. headers for sure even though I have new manifolds. I have lots of good parts from the orig. 305 and will be using all the chrome I have for the motor. Just a nice amount. What color should I paint the block?

OK back to the guts of the motor, whats some mild work I should do to it?? I'll have to look around for other 350 rebuild threads to read up on, if you know of any, direct me to it by posting a link! Thanks!!

The 350 I have is from a 1978 one ton gmc. 4 bolt main.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your gona need to mic the cylinders, and crank before you know what to get as far as rings and bearings go, will want to mic the pistions as well to make sure there not worn to bad.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:24 PM

Great find, good luck with the rebuild.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i think you should bore it out .30 over with some flat top pistons, then run a decent cam with a decent lift and duration.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I like Summit best for most engine items, but I recently discivered a place called KMJ Performance, and they've got some really good items at way better prices.
I wouldn't bore the engine any more than you have to because it just makes the engine run hotter. The thicker the cylinder wall the better, plus it allows for another bore later.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey! I'm back! In about 2 weeks it is go time on the Camaro. Finally!!! So far the budget is $2000 CAN. at the moment. The brake booster I will sandblast and paint with a new master cylinder. I also need a new rad, should I go big with it? I have a local deal on a edelbrock chrome 800cfm carb, part#1413. $475 brand new I think I will buy it. Budget wise I figure I'll skip out on a new/bigger torque converter. I'll need the engine rebuild kit probably from summit racing. The motor is a 350 4bolt from a 78' GMC 1ton truck. I will put the block in the parts washer to start fresh. alternator and starter I'll probably rebuild. Intake, headers, cam, what else??

Let me know what you guys would put in and do in this situation. Keep into consideration the budget build, and I am a mechanic so all labour I can do. Thanks in advance for your replys!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Overdrive Member

I think that carb is WAY too big. Correction I know it is. 650 is on the edge with a pretty much stock motor. Check out Competition Products. They have cheap rotating assemblies. If you did a stock rebuild with a cam and headers I'd get a 600-650 cfm. If your getting a new cam then get new springs matched to it. Thats one thing alot of people over look and it bites them in the ***. Other than that a good valve job is always good. A torque converyer matched to the cam may be in order but I don't know what cam you have in mind.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Just saw this, nice find. Looks like everything is there, that is lucky. You could probably sell some of that stuff to fund your whole project.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm with Damon on the carb; it's way too much. You can also beat that price easily. Summit sells the 650 for $325 manual choke, or $370 with electric choke. I'd skip chrome, as the Eddys are pretty high polish even without chrome.
If you're on a budget, then I'd have the stock heads rebuilt with new seats to handle larger 2.02" valves. You'll need that for a bigger cam. Stick with around 9.5-10.0 compression when ordering your engine kit, anything higher wont run well on the crappy gas we have today.
If you want to save some money then look for a good used alum. hi rise intake manifold on Craigsist. I see them here dirt cheap all the time. Often in the $50 range, and they just need to be bead blasted to look like new.

Quick Reply: 1979 Original Project Thread