1977 Camaro Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:54 PM

I'm going to be pulling the sub-frame tomorrow and possibly the axle as well. How does everyone support the body shell once everything is removed? Jackstands? Rotisserie? I have 4 sturdy metal sawhorses, but I work alone and don't really have any help so I'm not sure how I'd get the body on top of them.

Thanks

Curt

Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Overdrive Member

When I pull my sub, and I've had it off three times in the last two years. I set the front on stands. There is a strudy spot where the bottom fender mount is. Thats with the rear in it. Without the rear I put two more stands on the frame rails. Remember balance here. I have seen our cars hung by the rear bumper mounts and the door hinges, 8f in the air. I have seen them on four 55g drums. And the best was a guy who rolled the shell on its side landing on old tires. Beleive it or not it worked perfect.

I'm me and I will send pics of my set up. I'm at work right now.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

An engine hoist (cherry picker) will help get the shell up high enough and allow you to get stands under it. To make it easier I'd get it up high as you can and still safely work on it.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:52 AM

$#&!, while removing the sub-frame bolts the captive nut on the right rear mount started spinning freely. Best I can tell there is no access to without peeling open a section of the floorpan from inside.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Overdrive Member

You used an impact didn't you? Sorry I should have warned you. And yes you will have to cut a hole. This has been beat to death on Nasty. There are a few threads with steps to get it apart.

One way is a 4x4 with a couple casters.
Name:  001-26.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  76.9 KB

Another is jack stands
I dont have a good pic right now though.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Holesaw correctly positioned over the capture nut will be the least intrusive, and easier to repair later.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM

As a matter of fact yes I did use an impact wrench.

Looking at the front mounts I see there is a cover over the captive nut. If I cut a hole in the floor am I also going to have to cut off that cover?

Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Raindem
As a matter of fact yes I did use an impact wrench.

Looking at the front mounts I see there is a cover over the captive nut. If I cut a hole in the floor am I also going to have to cut off that cover?
Not necessarily. You may be able to grasp the cage and squeeze it with vice grips to hold it while you break the bolt loose. It will also allow you to spray the bolt/nut before attempting another try at it.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
You used an impact didn't you? Sorry I should have warned you. And yes you will have to cut a hole. This has been beat to death on Nasty. There are a few threads with steps to get it apart.

One way is a 4x4 with a couple casters.
Just Had to say that is a very slick idea.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to use a dremel because I can cut it on 3 sides, providing for easier re-attachment.

As you can see from the 2nd pic the nut totally blew out the side of the cage. Three cheers for my 1/2" IR impact gun!

I'll soak the nut for a couple days before I decide how to proceed. Ideally I'd like to find a way to compress the cage so that I don't have to cut it out also. The left rear side has already loosened without breaking the cage so I'm good there. I haven't touched the front ones yet but I'll be dumping gallons of PB Blaster on them before I do.

If I had it to do over I think I'd drill a small hole in the floor above each nut to aid in quenching it.

I haven't decided yet if I want to pay the $25 for the exact reproduction cage & nut. If I do then I'll weld the flap back up when everything is back together. But I'm thinking at this point of just getting a proper grade nut from the hardware store and be done with it. In that case I would just tack the flap back in place and cover it with seam sealer. Has anyone done that before?

Attached Thumbnails 1977 Camaro Restoration-captive-nut-1.jpg   1977 Camaro Restoration-captive-nut-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1977 Camaro Restoration