Intermittent Wiper retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Default Intermittent Wiper retrofit?

I'm new to the forum, and did a brief search for the particular issue I'm seeking an answer to. Apologies if this has been covered multiple times and I just didn't find the right threads.

I am considering a major restoration on a locally-available 76 Camaro. I already own a '67 Mustang convertible that has been heavily modified, and I drive it extensively--we're talking cross-country trips. One important requisite for me that a lot of people might not consider important is intermittent wipers. In a light rain or drizzle, the delay function is far superior to constantly reaching up to the dash to flip a switch on or off.

I would like to know if an intermittent wiper system can be retrofitted into 2nd Gen Camaros (1970 - 76). I understand that the factory option was first available in '77. Is it possible to purchase a '77 or later wiper motor and switch and fit it into a '76?

Alternately, are there any aftermarket intermittent/delay wipers available for the '70 to '76 Camaro?

Many thanks in advance,

Bruce G.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 AM
2nd Gear member

I would look for a donor car ,And get the harness and wiper motor ,etc from it .And take pictures so you can see the differances,

Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear member

There is quite a bit to change,so as mentioned above,i would findsomeone parting a car out to get all the needed parts.The wiper motor,wiring,and switch are all different,and i'm not positive,but i think the linkage may be a bit differnt for the later year cars,like i said not positive on that though,so it would be worth looking into if your going to do the swap.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

There used to be a couple companies that sold electronic devices to add to factory wiper systems to convert them to intermittent. It involved mounting a slide control switch (that came with the kit) under the dash, but they worked very well. I put one in my dad's old Buick for him back in the 80's.
I don't know of any of these kits still being sold, as almost all cars have intermittent wipers now, so the companies making them have ceased production. Now any aftermarket intermittent kits I see for sale involve a motor also, and sell in the $250-$300 range, plus require lots of fitting.