How do I reupholster my seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Default How do I reupholster my seats?

I have a 75 camaro and I feel like reupholstering the seats would be best to do. I do have a lot of experience sewing so i'm not worried there. However, the seats have no upholstery on them and didn't when I bought them.

I am trying to figure out how I can measure the seats to reupholster the seats. That way the upholstery fits beautifully and looks amazing.

If anyone knows any free resources that can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going for black leather with white trim on the seats.

A guide or video that could demonstrate how to properly measure the seat/foam. Would help me figure out how to sew the seat material properly.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 PM

I do believe this is in the wrong spot on the forums. You would get more responses elsewhere I'm sure.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Moved this to the interior section. If you don't have the original covers to use as a pattern, you're going to have a harder time. I don't know of anybody who sells patterns, like what you'd get for clothes at a fabric store. Maybe there is a source, don't know. Otherwise you'd have to make your own patterns, which could be time consuming. Is there a reason why you don't want to buy seat reupholstery from a resto company....going with custom seats, or just after that DIY cost savings?

Old 06-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Not sure if you have to ask the question that you have the experience and equipment to do seat covers from scratch without a pattern. I've got a close friend who has done interior for over 35 yrs. and she says she still hates trying to get seat covers to fit when there's no pattern to build from.
Best to find some old ratty 2nd gen in your local Craigslist and call the seller to see if he will sell you the covers cheap. Even if they're torn up you can still split the seams and use them for patterns. This will also let you see the various welting and loops added to pull the material into position with hog rings and you can duplicate those too.
If you're not dead set on custom leather you can buy copies of the original covers pre sewn from National Parts Depot, and then just install them.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

TFRALEY, not sure about where you are located in Georgia, but a couple of possibilities might be to check out your local pull a part place in Atlanta and see if they have a seat that you can get for about $25 or a seat cover for about $5. Also, you coud check out local cars for sale and see if you can find one for sale that you could at least measure. Also if you are close to NW corner of South Carolina, I would be willing to let you take a look at my '79 RS seats if that would help. If interested, see me a PM.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a couple of the seat patterns and then when anyone needs some you'd be around to help out.