Young Camaro Enthusiast Looking For Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I am new to the forum but had Camaros for 30 years. When you finally get one that you are going to keep for a while, go ahead and spring for the FSM. It will give you lots and lots more info than a Haynes or Chilton manual and you can get all of the manuals (service, overhaul and body) manuals on CD for about $40 if you carefully search. The FSM will show all of the details of your car including electrical diagrams and extensive troubleshooting. If you wait to get it, you will wonder why once you have it.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 PM
July 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Join a local Camaro car club.

Years ago I joined a car club for a marque that I had just purchased. I barely knew how to check the oil. I soon discovered that I could not afford to both own the car and pay the dealer to do the work. I discovered that there were plenty of guys in the club who knew how to maintain and fix them. You will find that club members are very helpful and understanding of your position. They will be glad to help and pass on their knowledge.

Fixing cars is not rocket science but it sure helps to have someone show you how to do it and what tools are needed. As I did each job, I bought the appropriate tools and the next time that repair was needed, I knew what to do.

So, join the local club and, most of all, become involved. Attend meetings and make sure you attend club events. Volunteer to help the club at events. This will insure that you will get help when you need it.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 PM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum Colt. I'm new here too, with my first Camaro, and I'm a lot older than you. Don't be afraid of the forum, If you have a question ask. I have a Jeep wrangler that I'm just finishing up, and Forums is where I found all of my info. Had it not been for the forum I would have made alot of mistakes., and even at that I made a couple.

Also check into local Camaro clubs, they can be lots of help.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Joining a Camaro club is a good idea, if the club is a good one. I was interested in joining the local Camaro club near Portland, Or., but after attending a cruise/get together with their group I quickly decided they weren't for me.
The info and resources you can tap right here are about as good as you can find anywhere, but you'll still enjoy having the factory manuals too as reference and pictures. They're impossible to beat with any cheap manuals around.