New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Young muscle car enthusiast!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Default Young muscle car enthusiast!

Hey, I'm 16 years old and I'm getting ready to get my license. I have $2,000 in my bank account right now and my parents have offered to help me with my first car. Alot of people have discouraged me against American muscle, mostly because of reliability. But alot of these people also drive the most riced out cars I've seen in my life. My uncle has a '71 Mach 1 Fastback and he's explained to me that the reliability is based on how the car has been treated. My father is also mechanically inclined so he can help me with the repairs that I may need to do myself.

I'm a huge Camaro fan, but I'm not extremely fond of the third and fourth generations. The first generation seems to be way out of my price range which leaves me with the second generation to choose from. My favorite years are right around 1979. Could this car make a good daily driver? Should I check into any other muscle car models along with this car?

Thank you.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Young muscle car enthusiast!

Hey man, I'm 17 and I love 2nd gen's too, I was wondering the same thing....I have a 93 camaro at the moment. My guess is that it wouldn't be a reliable daily driver based on the gas mileage and the cost of repairs etc but i'm not an expert or anyhting. I deliver pizza in my camaro and It's a terrible Idea, so I have a 91 honda accord im getting fixed to use, plus you can't drive camaros in the winter.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome!

Deffly look at getting 3rd gen...you can get a decent one cheaply, and but the rest of the money into the car...that's what i would/am do/ing

Old 08-23-2007, 02:42 AM

y cant camaros be drivin in the winter time? cuz of to much power or just not built for cold weather?

Old 08-23-2007, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

most are rear wheel drive and RWDs are just **** in winter...nuff said...there were several times this winter I would get out of the driveway in my Buick (FWD) easier than my g/f and her truck (RWD) and had to put it in 4WD...it was pathetic

Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear member

I am 18, my first car is my '71 They can be reliable, drop in a crate motor and its real reliable. As for cost, a 78-81 is gonna be your best bet, but keep an eye out , you may find a first gen or an early second gen needing work for cheap. Mine was only 2500 but then I spent 15000 on parts and motor **** to get where I am and I am far from done. You could get one that needs little work and do the repairs for yourself to learn as well for like 6 grand (talking 70-73) you could prolly get a 79-81 for around 5 in perfect shape

Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: riceeater

I am 18, my first car is my '71 They can be reliable, drop in a crate motor and its real reliable. As for cost, a 78-81 is gonna be your best bet, but keep an eye out , you may find a first gen or an early second gen needing work for cheap. Mine was only 2500 but then I spent 15000 on parts and motor **** to get where I am and I am far from done. You could get one that needs little work and do the repairs for yourself to learn as well for like 6 grand (talking 70-73) you could prolly get a 79-81 for around 5 in perfect shape
I might get a '71 with a new crate motor less than 500 miles on it. I'm not a mechanic so I wouldn't really know how to fix anyhting on it...I'd like to learn.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:02 AM
June 2007 ROTM

welcome. Actually u can find a first, second and third gen for less then 5000.00 just depends on the coniditions. good luck search around.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 PM
October 2007 ROTM

Hi and welcome..... I have a 71' I could drive mine everyday. If your looking for one try to get one that has not been messed with. So you won't have to fix mistakes done in the past.....Good luck.

Quick Reply: Young muscle car enthusiast!