woh all messed up..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear member

what jet size you recommend for a holley 600 Cfm carb currently running #66 and #25 at the squirter. it just feels like it comes on a little slugish how do u check if your running lean/rich any tests or anythin to do to leme know were im at right now?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brownstone101
how do u check if your running lean/rich any tests or anythin to do to leme know were im at right now?
Look at your spark plugs,if they are frosty white on the electrodes it's way lean,sooty black it's way rich,nice and tan and you're about right.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear member

sweet. they been running black for a little bit but my secondaries arent opening at all lately so yeah.. might drop the jet size down to 64 and see what it does

Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
2nd Gear member

kk i think i found a problem and corrected it.

both my float levles were low. by like 1/2 a turn or more. the back has always been bone dry on the plates and i knew it ran with that fuel metering plate. well it kinda acts like a clear bic lighter i think the fuel was sitting too low and wouldn't braze over the fuel plate into the other half of the zone were the fuel can actually get into the boosters.(straw side of the lighter) as soon as i raised the float lvl and it filled up its response got a ton better and snaper and was really sharp. before it just kinda was a slow pig and i knew it was off but its because wasnt getin enough fuel from the secondaries. also removed check ball since they wont open w.o it. ima bring it with me and do a little drivein w.o and with it and see what its doin. but in neutral it feels so much better. i will let yeah guys know how it is when i take it to school. its serously felt kinda restricted up. if it awakens im gonna be pretty happy

Old 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear member

so been a good 2 weeks been DD it because my firebirds down right now. radiator ate a hole in its self or ruptured. camaros been doin a great job all for the loud exhaust right now. its been great and much fun to drive. going to get exhaust built up this Friday get them away from the headers and tords the back so im pretty excited for that.

2 questions.
i got a factory-ish, 305 and i know the compression ratio is 8.1~ i got a MSD street fire dizzy to main manifold vacuum and max timing is unknown at this time. but going to get a MSD timing tape to tune it in better. thing is i been running 91~92 pump gas 10%E10 crap. and its been running fine. but its 3.00$ gallon. so i stepped back to 89 octane with no affects. and its about 2.60$ gallon. i drive a good 40 miles a day and i want to know if straight 89. would be a good median for a DD. its mixed right now and im trying to get it on straight 89. i think i could go straight to 87 if i wanted with no knock or ping being its so low compression engine. what do you think?

#2) going up a hill it has plenty of power in 3rd but i can never get the kick down cable to engage and shift down to 2nd for a power push up a hill if i wanted to. i have factory freeway 2.73 gears in the rear so i have to plant the pedal good and just chug up the hill but if i use shifter and knock into 2nd it climbs good at the expense of gas millage but sometimes thats the fun part. is there any recomendations on how to tune a kick down cable to your carb. how much overlap or anything should there be. it likes to stay in 3rd and i wana know if i go to pass and step into it it will kick me in the butt shift down and go

also thanks for the help lots of your guys info helped to bein able to have this (kinda) done and able to drive so

thank you!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1) With your c.r., 87 octane will be fine as long as you don't have a big build up of carbon inside the combustion chambers. Listen for the ping.
2) With the gas pedal to the floor, the kickdown cable should be pulled out all the way. Sometimes though, it works better to manually put it in a specific gear so the trans doesn't keep hunting up and down for the gear it thinks it wants to be in.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear member

ok so just wot with car off and adjust it back till its bottomed out.

and i get it with the manual shift. im getting B&M megashifter someday so that will help allot

and on subject of gas any pump gas should be good 87 to 92. it almost felt like it ran smoother on 89 than 91.
it feels like the MPG went down just a little bit but also i could be confused cause i been sick and dont member much with meds so when im better ill check into it and see my mileage.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Whats "DD"?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Whats "DD"?
Daily Driver.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I think I'll be dead before I get down all these computer abreviations. I thought maybe it meant dead drunk?

Quick Reply: woh all messed up..