What's NOT wrong w/ our car....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What's NOT wrong w/ our car....

Ok.. bought a 1970 Camaro sight-unseen. We had received a lot of emails and the dealer seemed very upfront with what was wrong.. supposedly. We received the car a week ago under the impression the engine had been rebuilt and all it really needed was interior work etc. Well, We noticed the fuel gauge isn't working. The we realized the horn isn't working. Then as my husband started uncovering that.. we found wires galore that aren't hooked up to anything some of which aren't even spliced. NOW the dang thing won't even start and literally I think we drove it twice, once just being around the block and to get gas. My husband doesn't think there's gas getting to the carburator but can't tell. Anyone know of a good wiring diagram? Don't think it's the battery. He just replaced the headlights this weekend b/c the chrome was messed up on the old ones. The battery is showing 11.5 charge (out of 13 if I'm right) so that looks ok. But then I have no clue so I can be wrong. Anyone have any tips or any ideas of who we can call for help? We live in Charlotte, NC and were happy to find a camaro specialty shop only a couple miles away but the guy treated my husband like dirt when he went by so guess we won't be dealing with them. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Danielle & Brian

Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: What's NOT wrong w/ our car....

Ok.. well we got it started.. for a little while. Still trying to figure out how to understand the wiring. A SMALL project car is what we were looking for and now it seems to be a HUGE project car... Anyone know any good sites or books on camaro repairs? I'm actually interested in helping my husband but we're both clueless so it's probally not going to go well.....[:@]

Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Tried to add the picture to this.. let's see if it worked...
Well.. that didn't work.. oh well....

Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear member

seems to me as though you have a mess, the guage is more than likely the sending unit which is in the gas tank, you have to drop it to fix it (I have to as well) as for the wiring on a car that old, its gonna be a rats nest more than likely

Old 10-17-2007, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear member

my best advice would be buy a chilton book and go from there. the wiring in my car sucks *** also. i started slowly fixing it up. the guy who owned my car before me love to hack things up. so i started with the power window's and went from there. if its really that bad, you can get a entire new wiring harness for the car. even with a new type fuse panel so you dont need the bulb fuse. good luck

Old 10-17-2007, 04:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks! The chilton book is what he was looking for but it wasn't in stock so he bought a different one that's not as detailed. So we're still on the hunt for Chilton's. The mechanic who had previously worked on it said most the loose wires should just be old ones that are'nt being used anymore... wouldn't it make more sense to REMOVE the wires that aren't being used?! Oh well.. we'll chalk this up as learning experience.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Droid

Considering how messed up your wiring is, you may want to spend $60 and get the Factory Service Manual from Helm Inc. Get both the 1970 Chevrolet manual, and the 1970 Camaro supplement.
www.helminc.com

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] please please listen to the great z28pete and get quality manuals. they tend to have crazy things like correct colors for the wires and correct info in general. if this is turning out to be a project the manuals will be invaluable to you. if you have specific questions hit us up with them and well do our best to keep your classic split bumper going. electrics are really quite simple once you understand a few basic principles especially in these older cars. as for "extra wires" well these were pretty basic to begin with and didnt include a whole lot of extra or unused circuits(with a good wiring diagram from a good manual you should be able to figure out where they are suppose to be going) kurt

Old 10-17-2007, 11:06 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look at www.nastyz28.com .they have a few schimatic's you can look thru

Old 10-18-2007, 06:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks guys, We appreciate the tips!

Quick Reply: What's NOT wrong w/ our car....