What Engine...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What Engine...?

Ok so I know this all comes down to opinion, but I'm a little stuck in trying to decide what I should do for an engine in my 71 Camaro. I have several different options and I'd just like to see what some of you think so maybe I can make a decision. Keep in mind that I am on a budget for the car...I dont mind spending a bit but I dont want to go way over the top.

Option 1: I currently have a stock 350 in the car and if I go with that motor it will need to be rebuilt...and while I have it apart I might as well upgrade heads, cam, intake, ignition, headers, carb, etc. All of that will cost me around $3000 more or less.

Option 2: My uncle has a truck with a 454 which has a B&M (low blow) blower. This engine is probably late 70's to early 80's and ran when last parked. Trouble is, it wasnt his truck...he aquired it from someone and so I dont know how the engine was treated so I'll have to rebuild this one as well. The advantage is that it's a free engine and it already has a blower so I should be able to make some decent HP. The problem is that with this engine I'll have some clearance issues and so I'll have to spend some money on a hood, new mounts, etc. and I'll probably have to upgrade the drive train to take that kind of torque...in the long run this could get expensive, not to mention it'll be a gas hog (although it's probably not going to be a DAILY driver, just a driver so that might not matter as much).

Option 3: For the cost of the other two options I could almost buy a decent crate motor which would come with a warranty, would already be complete so I wouldnt have to rebuild it, and it would probably get better gas mileage and better HP for the size of engine. The engine I would love to have in the car is an LS6 which i've found for $5500 plus computer and tax. Granted this is more expensive, but it would make the car more of a daily driver as well as something that has decent HP. (If you have any other suggestions for engines I'd like to hear them as well and why you think I should consider it)

I know I'm asking a lot but any advice, suggestions, opinions would be appreciated as I am trying to make a decision. Thanks!!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear member

well i know i would love to have a blown 454, however that does give alot of trouble with money and gas lol, since my 'maro is my daily driver, i would personally go with the LS6, get good mileage compaired to the others and still pack a punch.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats exactly why I was looking at the LS6. Smaller engine, yet still light and packs a good punch, and doesn't suck gas. The only thing that sucks is that its a little pricey for just the motor...but I shouldn't have to buy new headers as the ones that come with the engine should be designed to make HP. And it should drop in without many issues.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Lol,the LS6 is very pricey,for way less than what that would cost you could freshen up the 454 and build the car to handle it.
Also the LS6 is no bolt in motor so you're looking at a lot of work either way.

Hell for the $7000+ price of an LS6 and the added cost of installing one you're well over the $8000 mark,you could buy a pretty damn fast Camaro for that kind of money and do no work at all.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

There is another viable option that would be cheaper than all the above.
Get the motor from your uncle, as it's the cheapest. Remove the blower setup completely, and sell it. You should be able to get around $1200-$1500 for the whole system complete with pulleys.
Now put that towards rebuilding the big block and buying a decent intake and carb, around $500. You can buy a complete engine kit from Summit Racing for under $550 with forged pistons. A cam and lifters will be additional for around $150. $700 in parts, plus a few pulleys and brackets you can find at a junk yard off a big block truck.
Engine machine work to align bore, bore, size the rods, and go through the heads will be under $1,000. So if you add up the $1700, and subtract the low end of $1200, that leaves around $1,000 out of pocket for engine and new intake and carb.
Motor mounts can be reused from your smallblock, if they're good, and if they're bad you needed to replace them anyway. You'll probably want headers, but they're the same regardless of which engine you choose.
All in all, the 454 is the cheapest, smartes way to go. Oh yea, you'll still need the hood, as any big block will not clear unless you find an old factory low profile intake manifold.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
There is another viable option that would be cheaper than all the above.
Get the motor from your uncle, as it's the cheapest. Remove the blower setup completely, and sell it. You should be able to get around $1200-$1500 for the whole system complete with pulleys.

Now why didn't I think of that?

Guess I just liked the thought of a blown 454 .

Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Both of you have some great input! I have to say that I agree about liking a 454 with a blower and really if I go with the 454 I'll probably keep the blower on it cause it may be a while before I could afford another blower and if I'm going to go through the trouble of getting a new hood I might as well get one that'll fit the blower underneath it too.

So what did you guys have in mind for other crate motors? That could be an option too and that might be as cheap as rebuilding a motor that I already have. Also, if you have any suggestions for blocks and internals (that are good yet not over priced), I dont have any problems with building an engine myself.

My budget for an engine or rebuild is around $3000 or so. (And thats a little flexible).

Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well if you've got a budget of $3,000 you've got plenty to build the 454 blower motor, and you don't need a hood, as you wont find one that covers a blown 454 anyway. Besides, you want that baby to show when you're cruisin down the road for the wow factor!
You can still use the Summit kit, but get the kit with no more than around 8:1 compression forged pistons.
As for crate engines, there's a lot to choose from, but for the money I'd choose the GM crates, as the warranty is the best around. But since you mentioned it,; that LS6 is on sale for only $202 more than your budget!

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...8-P2477C0.aspx

Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Lol, that would definitely be a "wow factor" but not having a hood would ruin my paint scheme. So I guess having a blown 454 is out of the question for now. And for the LS6, I dont have the money nor the facilities for the stuff to put the motor in if it wont drop in (short of making new motor mounts). So what would you recommend for other GM crate motors?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear member

well u can have a hood, just cut a chunk out of it lol

Quick Reply: What Engine...?