What did you do to your camaro today

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

More sanding and more bondo today. This gets old really fast for me! I hate bodywork.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Are you using Bondo brand filler? If so that stuff sucks big time. Try Rage Gold. It costs more but the time and effort are worth it to me. It sands off like drywall joint compound. Like budda.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Are you using Bondo brand filler? If so that stuff sucks big time. Try Rage Gold. It costs more but the time and effort are worth it to me. It sands off like drywall joint compound. Like budda.
I use Evercoat Xtreme. Don't like the ones that sand easy as they are soft and don't hold up well. Too easy to chip once the paint goes on, and I don't want to do this again!

Last edited by 1971BB427; 04-07-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Overdrive Member

Rage is made by Evercoat.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes I know Rage is Evercoat, but it's designed as you said, to be softer and easy sanding. It's also more porous, so if you use Rage you should use Evercoat's topper mud to get a nice hard finish and fill all the little pores. You can use a filler primer, but that wont do anything but fill the pores, not give it a harder surface.
I've had issues before with lightweight fillers, and they really should get a hard glaze coat over them prior to primer and paint.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Overdrive Member

I'll keep that in mind.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Weather was spectacular today; clear and sunny! I took the day off from bondo on the Austin and did the tailgate on the Suburban instead. Someone had shot a little rattlecan paint on the tailgate that was way off color, and not metallic pearl blue like the rest the truck.
I sanded the tailgate down and masked it off to reshoot it. Got a can of GM blue metallic that was Duplicolor and sprayed the whole tailgate to get rid of the mismatched paint spots. Once it dried I installed the "Chevrolet" chrome emblem on it to finish it off. Looks much better now.
Then I took the Austin for a short drive to Old Car Parts to show the owner Joe. I've purchased old Chevy parts from Joe Sr., and now Joe Jr. since 1960's when I had my '40 Chev coupe and needed tailight lenses.
Been telling Joe about the Austin as I've gotten parts for the build, and he wanted to see it, so that was my main purpose for the trip. While we were looking the car over I mentioned I still needed to find the rubber for the crank open windshield. Joe looked at it and we went into his rubber section to check out the rubber for a 1946 Chevy truck. One look told me he was close, and a quick comparison assured me it was.
I bought the rubber and took it home to try it. After tearing out the old rubber I found the new was for a channel slightly wider and deeper than the Austin's. A few quick slices with a razor knife took off the excess the full length. After that a couple hours with a putty knife and 3M adhesive and it was in!
Let it sit a few hours in the sun to cure, then cranked it closed and it seals great! No more ugly dried up rubber with cracks and leaks. This was a major pain and eyesore, and needed to get done before paint!
Really a great day all around; two vehicles fixed, and a nice little drive in the gasser too!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Overdrive Member

I did something I have never done before, I sat in my Camaro. After moving I had the car and the seats in the same place for the first time since I bought it. Then while digging through some boxes trying to find speaker wire for the shop stereo, I came across the seat tracks that I POR15ed a while ago. LIGHT BULB. So another 15min digging to find some bolts. WOW its in. I sat there for 10 min of so, and no I didn't make vroom vroom noises. I did walk it through the gears though, gently so I didn't damage the scyncros. Wish it had a steering wheel.

I also tossed my new mini starter in and swapped the valve covers and air cleaner for some stuff I picked up last month.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Took the Austin out for a drive to meet another Austin owner today. Turned out to be a guy I already knew who owns Plumb Crazy Blowers; one of the top blower guys in the USA. He has a 1940 Austin 2dr sedan that's lowered and not a gasser, but still a nice rod!
He showed me pictures of another guy's Austin sedan for sale that's cheap and a lot of hard work already done. Appears to just need paint, wiring, plumbing, and interior. Seller only wants $2500, so might go look at it with a friend who's interested.
It's no monster with a 231 Buick, TH350, and a 9" Ford posi rear. But it wont take much to swap the engine, and make a cool ride.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 AM
2nd Gear member

[quote=1971BB427;527291]. Seller only wants $2500, so might go look at it with a friend who's interested.
quote]

Are they growing austins in a field out there somewhere haha.It sounds like there are alot of them,around here i think i have only seen maybe 3 my entire life haha.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your camaro today