What did you do to your camaro today

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Default My Two Cents Worth

Good Morning:

I'll call you by your name if I knew it!

Many moons ago, my family had a collectible car business; I ran most of the business, but Dad had to sign agreements, since I was under age at the time!

At one point when I first finished college, I had TWO 73 Z-28s. One was Burgundy with White Stripes and the other was Red with Black Stripes. One of the biggest mistakes of my life; I sold the Burgundy Z to purchase my first rice burner. A Honda Accord. I regret it to this day.

I did keep the 2nd Red Z-28; it came out of long-term storage after 20 years in 2008. We are the second family to own the car and have had it over 25 years. We are slowly restoring the car; will take years to complete, but we are trying to drive as we go along.

Back to your Paint Input.

I loved my first Z-28; it was the car that made me fall in love with muscle cars. Before that, it was just a business.

The car was Burgundy with White Stripes. It had the standard white stripe pattern on the trunk deck and spoiler. However, the hood had one broad strip to accent the hood scoop with a pin strip on each side. Also, instead of the blacked out rear panel that you see on Big Block SS cars of the early 70's, our was painted white on the rear panel.

That paint and stripe pattern looked excellent on our car and I think it would look excellent on your car.

Orange with White Stripes would make more of a statement than Green, but I really don't like Green too much anyway.

I tend to keep certain things about the same; if the car came with a auto trans, I would upgrade to a build street/strip auto trans with OD for fun street cruising, if it came Red, I would keep a shade of Red. That's just me and my preferences.

Jim T, Red Bomber

Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Pablo63
Yeppers. The only problem with the white stripe is I'm not sure that would look good with the blacked out tail panel.
Proabably right, but I do remember seeing some 1st and 2nd gens having big blocks with white stripes and blacked out tail panels. I think I'd go black though if I did the tailpanel black. Almost had them black out my tail panel when I painted, but chickened out. I can always have it done later.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Overdrive Member

Black tail panel was always the first tell tale sign its a big block.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Black tail panel was always the first tell tale sign its a big block.
Yep! mine had the black tail panel when I bought it.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Both the orange and the green that you posted look like very cool colors.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Installed my pressure regulator for the electric fuel pump today. The pump was supposed to be self regulated to 7 lbs., but seemed to be more as it was running really rich, and leaking past the floats needles after the key was off. Adjusted the new regulator to 5.5 lbs. and it works much better now. Funny thing happened when I got it lowered; the fuel pump got quieter too, so it's not so darn loud now!
Also got my rear tires swapped out. Removed the Goodyear Eagle radials, and put on the M/T Sportsmans I had in the shed. They're 29-12.50-15, which is 1.5" more tread than the Eagles, but more importantly they've got a better compound, and a more squared off profile, so they look better under the old Austin.
My buddy stopped by with his Austin, which is 2 yrs, newer, and I tuned his a little to get it running better. It's got Hilborn stacks through the hood, but is actually carbureted, so they're just part of the look he wanted. Here's a pic of his 1948 Austin A40 just completed:

Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

orange, black stripes and tail panel

Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by DarkKnight
orange, black stripes and tail panel
Pics or GTFO

Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Got my new Griffin radiator for the Austin today, so I tore out the old one and built the brackets to mount the new one. While it was drained I also punched the firewall and mounted the Toyota Landcruiser rear seat heater on the inner firewall so I can have some heat in the winter. Got The radiator, heater, and all the hoses completed, but need to get some fresh antifreeze and a radiator cap to refill the system. Also need to install a fan switch to run the fan. So it will wait until Friday, as I'm headed on a road trip with a friend tomorrow.
Hopefully I can drive it this weekend and see how it does with the new heater.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 AM
73Z
February 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Installed the chrome trim on my signal lenses

And wrapped the aluminum block off plates that the cold air tube runs through with Carbon fiber vinyl

Quick Reply: What did you do to your camaro today