Turning signals dont work

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Default Turning signals dont work

I am not an electrical techie so please try to keep explanation simple.

Problem:

I have a 1970 Camaro that I just purchased and has a variety of electrical gremlins.
Any help is appreciated

Old 08-30-2009, 03:19 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

soo what the problems?? need u to tell us whats wrong before we can help.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:11 PM

My first thought would be to check the fuses,

Next check the light bulbs,

Worst case would be that you need to replace the turn signal switch unit inside the steering column.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do any of the bulbs light up when you move the handle to either side?
If one bulb on a side is burned out they will not flash. Make sure both front and rear bulbs are good. If the bulbs light up but do not flash, check your flasher. It is mounted under the dash, there is one for turn signals and one for hazard flashers. Both are round, approximately one inch in diameter usually made of metal but some are plastic body. Also check the wiring connector on the steering column. It is a black flat plastic part with a number of wires running to it. Make certain the connectors are clean. If all the above are good it is probably the switch.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:23 PM

I have all the bulbs working now and still no flashing. The 1970 has only one round flasher fuse and that was replaced. Is the switch in the column a difficult process? If you have a link to instructions that would be helpful. Thanks all.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are the lights lighting up when the blinkers are turned on?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Get yourself a 12 v. test light to start. Then clip it to ground and start with testing the output of each fuse, especially the turn signal fuse. After that check for power by pulling the flasher unit and testing to see that it's getting power to one side when the key is on and the signal is turned in either direction.
If you have power to the flasher, then replace it with a new one. If that doesn't do the trick, then turn on the right side and check at the lamp socket. Repeat at each socket to see which are not getting 12 v.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:31 PM

I feel preety stupid so Im asking for some help in a state of humility. I took off the steering wheel, replaced the turning signal switch and now when I turn the key the car does not want to start. In addition the switch didnt do the trick. Is there something I could have done that prevents the car from starting. The wiring for the park sending unit is connected and the battery is at full charge. What could I have dislodged that prevents the car from starting. Thanks in advance

Old 09-06-2009, 09:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first check all your fuses under the hood and inside the cab. i would say u have a lose wireing harness somewhere. at least thats what it sounds like. check the harness plugins at the base of the steering column and of course pull that wheel back off and check all the wireing under there, check for power using a test light or ohm/volt meter. i dont have a book on your yr so it would be a good idea to get one yourself so u will know what color wires go were. u may even find that on the net doin a search.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your ignition "switch" is about halfway down the steering column, on the top. The key in the column is nothing more than a lock tumbler. When you turn the key, a cam mechanism moves a metal rod that's inside the column towards the top, and that activates the switch. Get your head under the dash as close to the steering column as possible, and turn the key on and off. You should hear a metallic sliding sound, as well as the ignition switch making a clicking noise. If you don't hear anything (other than the key in the ignition), then you must have dislodged the mechanism beneath the steering wheel.
One more thing, you said the car doesn't want to start. Do you get any activity, dash lights etc., when you turn the key? Or does the key not want to turn at all?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 09-07-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Turning signals dont work