Turn off, remove key...still appears "ON"

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Default Turn off, remove key...still appears "ON"

Hi - I have a '73 Z/28 that I've owned for 38 years. I've never had an ignition/switching problem before. What's happening now is the ignition seems to be stuck in the "ON" position. As soon as the battery is connected (with the ignition off and the keys in my pocket), the oil and back-up lights are on (manual transmission in reverse) but accessories do not have power. If I insert the key and turn to ACC, all accessories work fine. Here's what's been done so far with no change in the problem:

1) disconnected alternator
2) disconnected MSD ignition
3) disconnected TCS SOL, RADIO fuse
4) disconnected ACC plug at fuse panel
5) disconnected IGN plug at fuse panel
6) disconnected CLK, LTR, CTSY fuse
7) replaced ignition switch (located on steering column)

I noticed today that with the key off, I'm measuring 6VDC on the "IGN" tab on the fuse panel. I pull off the ignition wire and the 6V is on the tab, not on the wire. Can anyone tell me if this correct or maybe it's a symptom of my problem.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 12-08-2014, 09:14 AM
4th Gear Member

For a '73, not corrct.
On Ign switch, pull off the red wire and see if 6VDC goes away.

If it does, I suspect the ign switch may need a little finer physical location adjustment as BAT 2 & IGN are barely touching and due to arcing across them, some resistance built up, and half of battery voltage is seeping through.
If still present, then pull BAT 1 & 3 and determine what is on the path of absense in giving half battery voltage.

If voltage stays, then look for a misplaced/mispositioned wire on the starter solenoid BAT post - could be + cable could have laid over onto the R terminal energizing the ign circuit.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

agreed check the adjustment of the switch lower on the column to see if it needs to be properly