Troubleshooting help please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Understand. There was a lot of posts going back and forth trying to offer me some help deciphering the rear end I had just purchased (out of a Chevelle.) I'm not much use when it comes to rear differential housings and there were several folks getting me pointed in the right direction. I knew the swaybar was broken and am going to "kill several birds with one stone" when I take the car in to have the gears changed.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
I did some calling this morning and was quoted between $250 -$400 to swap the guts into the housing in the Camaro. Just gotta order the parts (which both places were totally cool with!) I wish I knew how to remove the stuff myself but don't, it would save me about $75. Have an appt. made for end of the month and I am completely stoked! C'mon payday!!!
Certainly less cash than fabricating an axle housing.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Indeed. Appreciate the advice again. Just counting the days. Trying to get this done by end of next week as I really can't wait any longer than that.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

The Camaro is goin' in today for the swap! Got the rebuild kit yesterday and it's finally getting done. Can't wait for the ride home! Thanks again for all of the input gentlemen. I'll advise on how everything went (especially the ride) and will have to get a project thread going. I found a local guy at a car show (pic attached of his Camaro) in town last weekend thats willing to help me with the engine swap too. Releived that I wont have to take it in to pay someone else to do it for me, just cant do it myself after 5 back surgeries. Things are coming together nicely for a change!

Attached Thumbnails Troubleshooting help please?-09-11-11_1505.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's great! Looks like a pretty serious '68!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well, I should've known. Got a call from the garage this morning. NOTHING will work. Apparantly, the rear end in the Camaro is "light duty" and the guy says it is most likely a 8 3/8 and not 8.5". The rear end I bought is heavy duty, c-clip and nothing will fit in the Camaro rear end. I asked about swapping the housings and that wont work either. The ears (or whatever they're called) on the top of the housing will hit the floors and simply won't fit in the car. Now I've got a rear end to re-sell and start from scratch. Just devastated, what a waste.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Overdrive Member

What! I have never heard of a Camaro with anything other than a 8.5" 10 bolt. I would ask another mechanic to look at it.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

I told him the same thing. What about the squared off parts on the bottom? He said there's a lot more to telling if it's 8.5" and that the cover on the Camaro is oval and the rear end that's in it is more rare than the one I bought. Said something about it being really light duty, pressed in bearings and that nothing will interchange from the rear end I bought. Also said the yoke on the new housing is longer and even if it fit, I'd need a shorter driveshaft etc. etc. I'm really upset mainly because I don't know about this stuff and I'm at the mercy of whatever I'm told. I do trust the guy, he was recommended by several different people actually. I'm really confused too, thought it was cut and dry GM 10 bolt 8.5" "look for the sqaured off ends on the bottom of the housing"

Old 09-21-2011, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

Saying "I am sick over this" doesn't even come close to being accurate. I called the garage back to try and clarify a bit more and was told simply that the rear end in the Camaro is smaller than the one I bought. I took pics of the Camaro rear end the best I could, (attached) please take a look? I realize it's probably impossible to tell from pics like these but I've got to try! C-clips in the rear end of Camaro, not in other rear end, covers are different, "pretty much everything is different Tim." That's what I was told. Seriously feel like I'm cursed with this Car.

Attached Thumbnails Troubleshooting help please?-sany0297.jpg   Troubleshooting help please?-sany0298.jpg   Troubleshooting help please?-sany0301.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear member

This makes no sense to me. To my knowledge the Camaro did not come with an 8.375 ring gear in '78. I have done so many gear changes and have NEVER seen one in a Camaro. Typically, GM did not put light duty axles behind V8's. It's possible your car was originally a 6 cyl car. All the advise you've gotten on this is good accurate advise. No one thought you'd get the one car that had the oddball rearend in it. The Chevelle diff did not have C clips retaining the axles? I'm gonna do some checking tomorrow, let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting help please?