small project

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by rydeer
I think the window crank thing was a joke!!!
I'm beginning to wonder if the original post was?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

no joke,, I am back !!!
do not get old.. when you get old you have to pee a lot
when I went to pee for the who knows how many times that day .
then my part timers must have kicked in and I forgot I was on the computor !!!

anyway back the task at hand.

The window has needed replaced for years, But I never done it. But I did how ever buy the outer weather strip, ( the bad weather strip has been scratching the window ) not sure how long a go? but the packaging ( orig. GM ) is turning tan where it was white ..
OK, I must have bought the wrong one or they sold me the wrong one don't know. it doesn't matter now. The new trim pc. I have has a strip of chrome on it, the one on the door does not have the chrome strip on the weather seal. My door has a chrome pc. on the top edge of the door. I had to remove this to get to the weather strip. ( also had to take the window out to get at the rivits on the seal.
after all that..
here is my question !!
can I remove the chrome from the seal and cut off the metal under the chrome and use it any way or will I need to get the correct weather seal ?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Blew68
no joke,, I am back !!!
do not get old.. when you get old you have to pee a lot
when I went to pee for the who knows how many times that day .
then my part timers must have kicked in and I forgot I was on the computor !!!

anyway back the task at hand.

The window has needed replaced for years, But I never done it. But I did how ever buy the outer weather strip, ( the bad weather strip has been scratching the window ) not sure how long a go? but the packaging ( orig. GM ) is turning tan where it was white ..
OK, I must have bought the wrong one or they sold me the wrong one don't know. it doesn't matter now. The new trim pc. I have has a strip of chrome on it, the one on the door does not have the chrome strip on the weather seal. My door has a chrome pc. on the top edge of the door. I had to remove this to get to the weather strip. ( also had to take the window out to get at the rivits on the seal.
after all that..
here is my question !!
can I remove the chrome from the seal and cut off the metal under the chrome and use it any way or will I need to get the correct weather seal ?
I had the same problem Jeff! When you have chrome on the door window strip needs to not have any. I don't think I'd cut it off. If you can't send it back I'd post it for sale here and order the right ones for a door with chrome and no metal edge on it.
I actually ordered the right strip, but they sent me the wrong one, so I was able to exchange mine.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well, I hope no one needed it. I started to peel it apart.
not sure it will work.. I figured it would cost as much to ship it as it was worth.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I think you may find that once the metal is removed that it wont sit properly and seal against the glass. The correct one for our type has a little ridge that rests against the top edge of the door, and almost touches the chrome. Without that lip it might be a poor seal against the door and glass.