sb motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: sb motor mounts

ORIGINAL: found69

well thanks for all the help ,i guess first off the title of the post should have cleared up the fact that im not putting a big block in were a small block was , but mearly trying to figure out , that if i take motor mounts(subframe) from a 72/73 nova would cause and problems since they are different from the 350 mounts that came on the car ....i got the car with no motor ,and the 350 i have has the late model mounts like on a 73 nova ext... so i figured instead of buying new block mounts id just use subframe mounts off my 73 ...and sit it in .....that was it ....and yes this forum, for us beginners rules cause iv learned to much the hard way so far ,and im shure much more to come
thanks
T

I don't think any of us said otherwise that you were going to put anything but a SBC in the car.

Frame mounts and motor mounts are two separate things and I know that you are knew to this, but I WAS a little confused by your first statment. You were talking strictly about frame mounts.

You'll be a lot further ahead in the game if you just get new motor mounts for a 69 SBC. Does your block have 3 holes for the motor mounts? They'll cost you $25 at the local NAPA. Just do it correctly.

In the time we've discussed this motor mount thing you could have bought them, had them installed and be dropping your engine in. Trsust me, I've been there done that and trying to save you from headaches down the road.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matts01ES

but wouldnt u get a new subframe atleast u would know that its good.
I am assuming (and I don't like doing that) that you are meaning new, in every sense of the word and if you are, do you know how much a new aftermarket frame is? $$$$$$

you can tell if an old frame is good for a lot cheaper. all you have to do is take a few measurements and have a good eye on the little things.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:14 AM
June 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

ORIGINAL: Matts01ES

but wouldnt u get a new subframe atleast u would know that its good.
I am assuming (and I don't like doing that) that you are meaning new, in every sense of the word and if you are, do you know how much a new aftermarket frame is? $$$$$$

you can tell if an old frame is good for a lot cheaper. all you have to do is take a few measurements and have a good eye on the little things.
A new aftermarket subframe is gonna run you about 3000.00 installed. But if ur worried about price in this hobby then ur in the world field. If u go cheap on parts u get cheap results. General statement.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree with the "pay to play" idea, but there is something called overkill. with your "just get a new frame" statement it sounded like you just replace things, instead of worrying about if what you have is still good. this could either be from lack of knowledge or unlimited funds. if it is the later, that's awesome. if it's the first one, well........

and believe me, I'm not cheap, I just don't spend my money on something new when I have something that I can make better than new with a little work. I have more money in my paint-job alone than most people have in their cars. same goes for my drivetrain, so I do spend but I just like to see people be able to make something nice with what they have and not go broke doing it.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:24 PM
June 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

I agree with the "pay to play" idea, but there is something called overkill. with your "just get a new frame" statement it sounded like you just replace things, instead of worrying about if what you have is still good. this could either be from lack of knowledge or unlimited funds. if it is the later, that's awesome. if it's the first one, well........

and believe me, I'm not cheap, I just don't spend my money on something new when I have something that I can make better than new with a little work. I have more money in my paint-job alone than most people have in their cars. same goes for my drivetrain, so I do spend but I just like to see people be able to make something nice with what they have and not go broke doing it.
I agree with you on that. As for the reason for my change is my car needed a very much upgrade on the suspension. Been having a completely tub out car I wanted the whole suspension right. So my choice is for performance and looks.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

then your choice was the total right one for you and we need to see some pics of that beast

Old 09-23-2006, 06:23 PM
June 2007 ROTM

SLOWMOTION BROTHER SLOWMOTION

Old 09-24-2006, 12:48 PM

going to napa and buying mounts .....