Plasti-Kote vs Dupli-color

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Default Plasti-Kote vs Dupli-color

Hi, I'm looking for info from anyone that is familiar with the two paints for interior vinyl and fabric. I read one restoration piece that says that Plasti-Kote is his paint of choice. I was leaning towards that but it's so hard to find places that cary it not to mention the right shade.
Any info would be a great help, and I can get started on my interior '78 Camaro. I new to this whole thing and don't want to start on the wrong foot.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Plasti-Kote vs Dupli-color

DONT buy niether cause the **** will flake off afer awhile.Cause I painted all my plactic parts with the stuff and it flaked after a couple of months. So I had to go to a regular paint store that you paint from to paint cars and the have a special paint thats made for interior. I had to take all my plastic parts back out of the car and repaint them with this special paint. It takes a special cleaner/thinner and primer to make the pant stick to the plactic..

Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 AM

wouldnt recommend the paint but if your dead set go witha type of primer first then spray so you can reduce flaking and runs

Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 PM

Hey 80z do you mean a paint store like home depot or a shop that paints cars I was a little confused there with the wordings

Thanks again,

Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Overdrive Member

He should mean an automotive paint store. When we did this in the body shop we used PPG's DIU. Worked great and there was no need for a primer or adhesion promoter unless scuffing it you would get hairs.
Wash the parts with Tide detergent and a plastic scrub brush. Rinse it good as the tide may leave a film.
Most of the time that was good for prep as the tide with the bleach would clean it very well. Sometimes we would take an ultra fine scotch brite. Also availible at the paint supply store. And we would lightly scuff the parts. Do an area and look close and see if it is lifting the plastic making it look like hair on it.
Wipe it down with a plastic prep. Test a small area. Even though the plastic prep is weak it can still melt plastsics.
If you feel the need spray an adhesion promoter on. One light, but not dry, coat only. Adhesion promoter is not perfect and can flake off also. We usualy did not use it. Its just another componenet to give you trouble.
Then spray your paint and be sure it dried plenty over night before reinstalling.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:18 AM
May 2007 ROTM

I have used both, but like the duplicolor the best. I used simple green and 90% rubbing alcahol to prep my vinyl and plastic. So far after a few years the plastic and hard vinyl havnt flaked or peeled. ..but that was after cleaning it a second time and toughing up some spots that weren't cleaned the first time, after that it has lasted a few years so far.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 AM

It seems like a good preping helps a lot. i'll give Dupli a shot it can't look worse then it already does lol.
Thanks