Oil Filter STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 PM
ZOG
Default Oil Filter STUCK

Tried changing the oil this morning, before the maintenance guys go to work (not aloud to tinker)

So im looking like im stealing my own car as throw it up on jack stands and taking valve cover breather off and draining oil.

I stark crankin the filter and its almost feels welded in there. Thought it would be a quick process but I caught a snag and the camaro is still on the stands. Hope I dont get a notice!

I tried man power after 2 cups coffee,
strap wrench,
poking hole in bottom draining oil and any pressure,
hammering screwdriver through other side but broke screw driver after 5 min,
PB Blaster up around seal.

I dont know how else to get this thing off or is there a release pin thats hidden somewhere to let it turn? Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Your story is all too familiar.
I had the same problem with my 81 as well as other vehicles in the past.
I tried the same things you had mentioned and more until my driveway was littered with tools.
Try taking a chisel or screwdriver and tap it with a hammer on the edge of the filter in the direction to loosen it.
Good luck.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I grabbed mine with a big pair of channel lock pliers up near the top. Bent the edge away from the motor (which broke the seal) and one twist with the pliers, I was able to take the mangled filter off by hand.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Overdrive Member

They do make shocks for oil filters now. Probably won't help now though. Just keep fighting. Then change your oil more often LOL. Alittle oil on the gasket when you tighten it helps too. You probably know that but though I'd through it in just in case.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:51 PM
ZOG
Thumbs up

Thanks guys. Yeah I was finally able to get that thing off. It was completely mangled by the end of it.

Took it down all of the way to the base and channel locks did the rest.

This was the first oil change as I just got it a few weeks ago. It looked like a fairly new filter im sure the 'tard before me didnt lube the gasket or probly used a wrench to tighten. Just glad to get this out of the way.

Filled with oil with a lubed up seal, hand tight, and I should be good from now on.

Thanks again!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:47 AM
2nd Gear member

haha did that on a friends car.. shes like why do you have a screw driver and a rubber mallet under my car. tap tap tap crack twist and it was off luckily easier than what you had to do. but last place who did the oil was like jiffy lube..... they ought to know better than to not over tighten stuff

Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL I take it you live in an apartment. I once caught my truck on fire at my old apartment. Trying to adjust the floats on my holley, I didn't see the wire going from the alt. to the starter had a rub on it and it arced sending the whole thing up in flames. The building didn't have a hose or anything, and I only had a 5/8 and a screwdriver. Couldn't get the batt. cable off so every time i got it out (with my coat) it sparked and went up again. Finally my neighbor came home and had an adjustable in his van. I think that is a textbook reason they didn't want people to tinker with there cars there. It cost me a jacket and some wire but all was good. If you look at the pics in my progress thread the plug wires on my motor are the same ones from the fire. I will definitely by them again. LOL

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
ZOG

LOL sounds like some bullet proof wire. What make of wires are they?

The new head B in charge is a stiff. She Doesnt think about things like maintanence as she prefers to pay $50 bucks for somone else to change the oil for her or pay to rotate tires!

I prefer to do it for free and/or cut the cost.

No sympathy here.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Overdrive Member

They are Taylor Spiro Pros. My buddy used them for years on his race car and now I know why. At 60bucks or so there not super cheap but considering they were literally on fire and cleaned up with just some mineral spirits, I'm a believer.