No Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Question No Headlights

Ok so I put a new battery in today and my my son was helping check the old horn that was in the car. We had a couple of leads clipped on and he arced the battery and now I have no headlights. I've checked the fuse panel, all the bulbs and nothing seems blown. I have 4 way flashers and blinkers but no running lights or headlights. I don't know where else to check. Anyone know if there's a fusible link or where else I need to look?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

did you check the wires going into the headlights with a meter? are they getting any power at all? if not i would trace the wires into the fuse block and look for a burned or broken wire.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Also check the headlight dimmer, and off/on switch. I can't imagine what would cause the headlights to go by arcing the battery, unless the lights were on when it happened. I don't know if the headlights are even fused beyond the fuseable link. I think they're one of those items that doesn't have a separate fuse inline.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I was initially thinking fusible link related, but then you would have more than just the headlights not working.
Are the headlights definitely the only things that aren't working?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM

No headlights and no interior lights. I guess I'll have to check and test every fuse again. I pulled them all and I didn't see any blown. Does anyone know if there are any other fuses other than the ones under the dash?

Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

on my 78 the only fuses are under the dash, no headlights and no interior sounds like the switch on the dash went out or is unplugged.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM

I checked the harness for the switch and It's not getting any power. There's no power to the fuse panel either. Wouldn't a blown fusible link cause this problem? I know there are several on the car and I'm thinking the blown one could be the one that goes to the fuse panel. Any thoughts?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 PM

Well guys the problem was the fusible links. After a lot of wire chasing, I found the previous owner tied to circuits to one link. I put a link to each of the lines and presto, lights and everything. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Default 81 camaro

Originally Posted by Chia219
Well guys the problem was the fusible links. After a lot of wire chasing, I found the previous owner tied to circuits to one link. I put a link to each of the lines and presto, lights and everything. Thanks for the help.
Hey there I have similar problem with my 81 camaro. Headlights don't work and no interior lights. All turn and brake signals work. I switched the headlight as well as dimmer switch and still no luck. Where did you end up finding that fusible link as I am told that the headlights do not have a fuse in the box?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Chevguy
Hey there I have similar problem with my 81 camaro. Headlights don't work and no interior lights. All turn and brake signals work. I switched the headlight as well as dimmer switch and still no luck. Where did you end up finding that fusible link as I am told that the headlights do not have a fuse in the box?
It's down at the starter. Just looks like a heat shrunk covered piece of wiring. Not usually obvious if it's bad from the outside. Check for 12 v. at your headlight switch. If it's not there, then it's either the fusible link, or a break somewhere between starter and switch.

Quick Reply: No Headlights