Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   70-81 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/)
-   -   No Headlights (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/no-headlights-73912/)

Chia219 04-08-2013 09:44 PM

No Headlights

Ok so I put a new battery in today and my my son was helping check the old horn that was in the car. We had a couple of leads clipped on and he arced the battery and now I have no headlights. I've checked the fuse panel, all the bulbs and nothing seems blown. I have 4 way flashers and blinkers but no running lights or headlights. I don't know where else to check. Anyone know if there's a fusible link or where else I need to look?

mike6208 04-08-2013 10:19 PM

did you check the wires going into the headlights with a meter? are they getting any power at all? if not i would trace the wires into the fuse block and look for a burned or broken wire.

1971BB427 04-09-2013 10:25 AM

Also check the headlight dimmer, and off/on switch. I can't imagine what would cause the headlights to go by arcing the battery, unless the lights were on when it happened. I don't know if the headlights are even fused beyond the fuseable link. I think they're one of those items that doesn't have a separate fuse inline.

Camaro 69 04-09-2013 11:40 AM

I was initially thinking fusible link related, but then you would have more than just the headlights not working.
Are the headlights definitely the only things that aren't working?

Mike Lorah 04-09-2013 01:31 PM

No headlights and no interior lights. I guess I'll have to check and test every fuse again. I pulled them all and I didn't see any blown. Does anyone know if there are any other fuses other than the ones under the dash?

mike6208 04-09-2013 03:51 PM

on my 78 the only fuses are under the dash, no headlights and no interior sounds like the switch on the dash went out or is unplugged.

Mike Lorah 04-13-2013 12:51 PM

I checked the harness for the switch and It's not getting any power. There's no power to the fuse panel either. Wouldn't a blown fusible link cause this problem? I know there are several on the car and I'm thinking the blown one could be the one that goes to the fuse panel. Any thoughts?

Chia219 04-22-2013 03:05 PM

Well guys the problem was the fusible links. After a lot of wire chasing, I found the previous owner tied to circuits to one link. I put a link to each of the lines and presto, lights and everything. Thanks for the help.

Chevguy 01-10-2014 06:14 PM

81 camaro

Originally Posted by Chia219 (Post 667721)
Well guys the problem was the fusible links. After a lot of wire chasing, I found the previous owner tied to circuits to one link. I put a link to each of the lines and presto, lights and everything. Thanks for the help.

Hey there I have similar problem with my 81 camaro. Headlights don't work and no interior lights. All turn and brake signals work. I switched the headlight as well as dimmer switch and still no luck. Where did you end up finding that fusible link as I am told that the headlights do not have a fuse in the box?

1971BB427 01-11-2014 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chevguy (Post 684474)
Hey there I have similar problem with my 81 camaro. Headlights don't work and no interior lights. All turn and brake signals work. I switched the headlight as well as dimmer switch and still no luck. Where did you end up finding that fusible link as I am told that the headlights do not have a fuse in the box?

It's down at the starter. Just looks like a heat shrunk covered piece of wiring. Not usually obvious if it's bad from the outside. Check for 12 v. at your headlight switch. If it's not there, then it's either the fusible link, or a break somewhere between starter and switch.