No breaklights/fourways/turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 AM
August 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club
Default No breaklights/fourways/turn signals

So I recently got my 72 Z28 back from a shop after the suspension fell apart and had to be redone (I'll make a post about that later when I have a second).

I was very happy to get her back after about three weeks. We had a great four hour ride back home on Tuesday, new suspension feels great. Unfortunately, at the end of said 4 hour drive, my buddy (who was following me) noticed that the breaks lights stopped working. We pulled over, did a quick check of bulbs, wires, lights in general. At that point, turn signals were still working, head lights/tails lights were working, running lights working, but no break lights and no 4 ways.

Finished the last 30 minutes of the drive home. When I got home, I did a more thorough inspection of wires/connections/lights/fuses. I pulled off the switch that pushes up against the break pedal (sorry don't have any idea what the technical name is) and my buddy helped me test that with a multimeter - that worked just fine. Soon after all of this we noticed that now the turn signals also stopped working.

So at this point, I have no break lights, no turn signals, and no four way/flashers. I am not sure where the break down is. The fuses I know about seem fine. Of note, previously at times when I would use the turn signals - sometimes they would flash quickly and other times they would flash more slowly (not sure what is/was causing that).

My buddy thinks that it could possibly be the Turn Signal Switch (in the steering column) that needs to be replaced. I tried to find a wiring diagram that could explain to me how the break lights, turn signals, and fourways could all be affected, but despite the great diagram sticky in this section, I couldn't find anything.

Any thoughts? Suggestions of what to look for/how to test to see where the problem is?

~thanks

Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 AM
4th Gear Member

Seems like the body section of the wire/light harness is working, or was.
I would look at the fuse panel.
Hazard and brake lights use the same fuse and battery power.
Orange wire out (power) to haz flasher, brown wire out to column to t/sig switch for distribution, and same org to brake switch, then white wire to column for rear lamps.
Tail lights use the same fuse panel buss bar and have their own fuse.
Orange wire to headlamp switch, then brown wire from switch to lights.

Power for this buss bar comes from a factory crimp of the red wire.
Light fuse buss bar in fuse panel is wire D.
Other circuits are crimped into the same, lights, ignition - BAT 1 (standard) & BAT 2 (optional).
This red wire power comes from the firewall connector and from the horn relay buss bar/terminal and from the battery junction block and voltage regulator. Wire brush these connections.
On the voltage regulator, there are a couple fusible links, but I would imagine, if one of these were to open, power to the complete electrical system would be dead.

Since there is ignition and headlamps, I presume, I would look from the dash crimp of power, red wire.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 PM
August 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply, when I have some time to get under the dash again I will let you know what I find.