need held?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Default need held?????

Hello. I have a 69 pro-street camaro that has been in the family for 30 yrs. This car was my deceased father and now I am lucky enough to still have the car. Here is my issue...about 6 mos. ago I had the car out to a show and ran out of gas on my way home. To make a long story short, I ended up frying my distributor in the process. I had the car rollbacked home and dropped into my garage off the truck. It is now 6 mos. later and I have just finished installing a msd box, msd dist.wires. The car runs great but the clutch is not engaging at all. The petal has pressure but when the car is started i cannot get the car in gear!!!! I have been told that it is a possibility that the hayes clutch has frozen to the flywheel. I have never had these issues before..the clutch does not have many miles on it. ANy help???? The other issue i have faced is 4th gear pop out on the highway. I was trying to get this out of the garage and get shockwaves installed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5856/35D1EC98CA9F49EA9064FCF34BA39381.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: need held?????

You can hear a difference between clutch in and clutch out, the engine sounds different, listen for that the odds of them sticking are very low, you can hear the throwout bearing come off the fingers when your foot is off the pedal

IF the clutch is hydraulic, check the fluid level the shaft is not going out all the way and totally disengaging the clutch

IF the clutch is mechanical check the linkage that the pedal when on the floor the clutch is completely disengaged from the flyweel,
IF it is not, the flywheel is still spinning and the synchronizers will not allow you to put it in gear

4th gear popout make sure under your rubber shifter boot, that the body (make sure it's not hitting the sheetmetal) is allowing it to go all the way into gear, or the rubber is not too tight and pulling it out of gear, if it still does it I'm one

Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 PM

how can i tell if hydraulic or mech,?

Old 12-14-2006, 11:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Look where the pedal goes thru the firewall, there will be a hydraulic cylinder and reservoir and a rubber hose going down to the throwout bearing arm where there will be another hydraulic ram

OR this will all be a mechanical linkage, and an adjustable throwout arm by the throwout bearing (at the transmission) sticking out the drivers side where the tranny meets the engine

Hydraulic, fill the resevoir, and pump it up if it doesn't work replace it.

Mechanical, adjust it, and gooooooooooooooo.

Have a nice day