Need advice-looking to buy 79 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Default Need advice-looking to buy 79 camaro

"Selling my '79 Camaro Berlinetta. Has approximately 38K miles on the new motor. Has a 305 cu in v8, hooker headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust. Ready to drive and runs great!! A lot of money has been put into this car.
*Just purchased a red car cover with the Camaro logo on it for $325
*Edelbrock 600 CFM with Electric Choke
*Header back Exhaust sys. Alum ST.
*Comp. Headers Full Length BLK Alumni ST.
*Crager SS Wheels
*New Paint with stripes"

It has a great interior also.

Now, with that little info given i have a few questions before i were to purchase this car.

DO you think this could be a reliable daily driver for two plus yes?
and clue on the gas mileage?
Im unfamiliar with the *Edelbrock 600 CFM with Electric Choke
*Header back Exhaust sys. Alum ST.
*Comp. Headers Full Length BLK Alumni ST. could anyone give me a breif idea of what these mods are?

and most importantly is a price of 6000-6500 fair?

thanks alot in advance.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 AM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Got any pics? Does he have any paperwork on the new engine? Does it pass inspection? When was it last on the road? Just a few questions to ask. As for gas milage it's going to be bad. If it does check out and is in good shape $6000 isn't bad. If its in good shape it could be a good DD but I wouldn't recommend it as one. It's an old car and things wear out when they get old. GL

Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Gas mileage may not be too bad since it's a 305,but it's not going to be as good as any of the newer cars with fuel injection and 4 or 6 cylinder motors.I agree with Camambro though,yes it could possibly be a decent daily driver,but keep in mind,even with a newer motor,this car is still over 30 years old,and i'd bet a lot of the parts,especially suspension and possibly steering parts,are probably either original or pretty old as well,so there is potential for worn out parts that could leave you putting more money into it.Also keep in mind,if you live in an area where you get snow,these cars are horrible in snow and ice.Don't get me wrong,if it is in good shape and you can afford to get it,by all means they are fun cars,but i would at least try to find an old beater car for the winter months.That edelbrock carb is the same one on my car,i haven't had any problems out of it,the headers and exhaust will give the car a bit more power,and probably a louder than stock sound,depending on what mufflers they put on it.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Anything from the 70's is going to have some mileage, regardless of what's been done. The engine being rebuilt is good, but I see no mention of the rest the drivetrain? I'd be asking for receipts for a trans rebuild, or rearend, before I trusted they wont possibly give a problem in the future if it's going to be a daily driver.
I think if it is as described, and the drivetrain is also solid, with no hidden rust issues, then this could indeed be a fair price. But I'd still check it underneath carefully for any rust issues in the rear frame rails, and floorboards, or for any repairs that might have been done there. New paint hides a lot of things, so no way to know what might be under it.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 PM

THanks so much for the reponses. After more thought i think im going to have to pass even as much as i would love to own it. mainly just for its overall age i dont really want all the risk of parts wearing out while itd have to be my daily driver, and gas mileage, i think i need to make a wiser choice on that.

Thanks again

Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 79 CAMARO running with entior etc.$6000? YES!

Hey there. My honest opinion is ... If you like it, you want it, and got the money- grab it. I would try to haggle down by starting a lower bid then reach somewhere closer to the middle. suspension parts that wear down are expected to wear and be fixed. Difference between new cars and old - a suspension rebuild kit and related suspension components If you need to replace minor parts are only in a few hundred dollar range. Even if you replace all it would only cost a grand, Hey it ain't no big deal. Try rebuilding your newer car crap for that cash outlay. Hah! can't be done. 'Older' vehicles were designed for low but steady pace of maintenace instead of: '500 bucks this electronic thing that wont let you start your car and plug and play withyour self computer joy stick in your car's brain B.S.' Its a money making scheme to profit the greedy. However to make it safer to drive in rain and snow you would wan't to give it a good limited slip unit in the rearend and just run snow tires and don't drive like its a sticky road and go hydroplaning as many inexperienced drivers will. Be aware of road conditions. Just think, you can do the exact same with any vehicle in the snow and rain- some just have way less torque to get you in trouble. I feel that the "your car is old and- has a bent pitman arm -get a new car" routine is obsurd. Hey the entire vehicle industry loves it though. Play their way and you would have -infinity expenses. But I still agree with all previous advice to an extent. You know you could probably sell it if you didn't like it. But the best MPG would be around 24-28 with an overdrive trans and perfectly selected cam and rearend gears and tire diameter stall etc. Some of these guys get 7 mpg on here so don't ask them, they don't care. lol take care and good luck. P.S. If you can, get pics anyway so everyone can adore her...

Last edited by ZL1CAMARO; 02-20-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling.