My 78 Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So I got some work done on the Camaro today. I got all of the interior out except for the harness under the dash. The carpet that the guy had put in wasn't correct or even car carpet. He also put like regular insolation down on the floor. The good news is there are no rust holes in the floor that have to be fixed. I was scared about the floors with how bad the quarters are. But no patch work needed there. Also it has some rust in the passenger side corner of the dash by the windshield pillar but not really bad, just alittle patch work. I got the carpet out of the trunk and found out that the floors in there are really good. I will need to replace the lower part of the taillight panel like down below the rear bumper if I can ever get it off. LOL. Still need my cherry picker back so I can get the motor out. Next, I will be getting the windows out, the chrome trim around the door glass, and the gas tank out. Here are some pictures of my progress.

Yes, Joe, It is fun documenting the progress!

Name:  006-4.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  36.9 KB
Name:  005-2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  004-2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  53.9 KB
Name:  003-2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  51.5 KB
Name:  002-3.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  42.3 KB
Name:  001-4.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  66.6 KB

Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Overdrive Member

Holy chit that is the best pic I have seen of how bad the cowl rust can get. ood thing you got to the car when you did. With leakage like that it wouldn't take long for the floors to rust. Your going for the full resto I take it. No luck on the bumper?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah it needed a complete restro. The whole interior was shot so I took it all out, and it was a good time to inspect the floors, also a good time to take care of the cowl rust. It sat in a barn with a dirt floor for 5 years so the undercarriage needs to be cleaned up as well its pretty rusty, but only surface. Both quarters and the lower tail panel need to be replaced. Ill be getting the torches out to get the bumper off cause it defintly has to come off. Once the motor is out the front sub frame will be getting stripped to get powder coated. The rear end will also be swapped out for a posi not sure of the gears yet as i still have to find one. Every thing will be cleaned and painted when that happens. Want everything to be done right when its done with the 454 in there. Not sure now if i want to save the heater and just delete the a/c or get rid of the heat and a/c and smooth out the fire wall.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your going right at her, love it. cant wait to see some cowl repair pics, gotta do both sides on my 78 (along with everything else and more lol). But i would keep the heat and delete A/C. Not like i would drive in the winter but its a good option to have on some cold summer nights, plus i had a overheating prob one time and the heater helped a bit, But a smooth firewall does look good

Keep it up

Joe

Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 AM
2nd Gear member

Places like jegs or summit sell those mojave heaters that just tuck up under the dash.I think the whole setup with the blower attachment runs maybe $200,then you could have heat and defrost plus still smooth the firewall.Only thing would come through the firewall then would be the hoses.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Overdrive Member

Oh now you say something. I would have donr that instead of 120 bucks on the a/c delete box.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So I haven't got to work on the camaro much this week but I did get alittle bit of stuff done. I got the complete wire harness out of the inside and I got the a/c heater box (inner and outer) out. I also got the trim from around the windshield and the rear window. I should get some camaro time this weekend hoping to get the windows out and start underneath. Sorry about not having pictures this time. I will have some soon.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Oh now you say something. I would have donr that instead of 120 bucks on the a/c delete box.
Haha,is'nt that how it always goes.I did'nt even think about it back when you were looking for ideas,although if it makes ya feel better i was off a bit on the price.It's $199.99 for the heater,$49.99 more for the plenum box that adds vents and a defrost outlet,plus the cost of the hose for the defrost and new heater hoses.Here's a link to it though.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/640/10002/-1

Old 07-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Overdrive Member

Ok I'm not that bummed. The price is right but that vent set up is butt ugly. I'll stick with the factory set up. Who knows if I ever build the LS motor I been dreaming about I might though the air back on.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Ok I'm not that bummed. The price is right but that vent set up is butt ugly. I'll stick with the factory set up. Who knows if I ever build the LS motor I been dreaming about I might though the air back on.
+1!! I'd never want to look at that hanging under my dash.

Quick Reply: My 78 Project