My 78 Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok so I got to work on the car for alittle today, but with the god awful heat I didn't work long. I got the hood, both front fenders, inner fenders, and all the plastics off the front, grill, headlight rings, and marker lights. Also started getting the motor ready to be pulled out. While I was under the car pulling the drive shaft out I found out that the bolts for the U-Joint weren't even tight on one side and on the other side the strap only had one bolt in it. I'll worry about the emblems when I get that far unless I stumble across some. Yeah my boy is getting big and he loves watching me work in the garage. Here are a couple of pictures.
Name:  001-1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  76.9 KB
Name:  002-1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  98.1 KB

Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your gettin there, wont be long before even the heat wont stop the withdrawals lol. Keep the pics commin

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Hey I post on my progect thread every week or so. LOL Damn balancer is kickin my but right now. Just got an A/C delete box I'm gonna put in soon.
LOL, i meant it was nice to see 78_junker start a progress thread, now i can see what he was talking about.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Overdrive Member

I don't know how familar you are with 78's. So I was just giving advice. Like protect your lower grill like its gold. They're in short supply. Top one too for that matter. And 80-81 grills won't bolt in a 78-79 nose. Holes are in a different spot. Looks like your getin er done though. I know what you mean about the heat. It's gonna be 90 and raining today. Can't stop sweating at work.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have noticed the craze about the grills and thats bad for me cause my lower was not there when i bought the car and the upper is broken. I am going today to look at an 80 or 81 parts car might have to just swap the whole front clip if the nose is in better shape than mine. I ll let every body know what i fine out about the parts car. thanks for the advice.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok guys I got alittle done today. I know that alittle bit is better than none at all. Yesterday I pulled out the trans for a buddy of mine. Waiting on getting my cherry picker back from my brother-in-law so I can pull the motor out. So today, I got all the motor unhooked. I got the rubber nose off and found out that the fiberglass panel under that is broken, with alittle help from my four-year-old son. He decided that he was going to help me when I wasn't looking and a crack in it that I could have fixed became a totally broken piece. You guys know how helpful little hands can be (Ha Ha). I got the radiator support off and the bumper off. Once the motor is out, I will roll it outside and pressure wash the whole sub-frame and firewall before I remove everything on the firewall. Thats all for now. More news will come.
Name:  001-3.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  123.4 KB
Name:  002-2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  136.6 KB

Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok so no pictures today. Today i got the tail lights out. I took off all of the spoilers from the rear of the body. I then ended up taking off the trunk. I tried to get the rear bumper off but was only about to get the top for bolts off that are inside the trunk, the ones on the bottem broke lose but then they popped out and just spin so i have to look at how to get them out. So after rolling out the car and kind of cleaning up the garage, I pushed the car back in and started getting the interior out. Got all the headliner trim and headliner out. got the rear sail panels and the side panel beside the back seat. Tomorrow i will hopefully get my cherry picker back and can get the motor out. Might finish working on getting the interior out. I'll get some pictures tomorrow, I know how you guys like pictures.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Overdrive Member

The man is rollin.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:37 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah we all love pic's but ya gotta admit it's pretty fun documenting the process to

keep er up

joe

Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

as for the grills my top one was busted when i got my camaro and i have a 79 i bought the one from a place called Tamraz's off of ebay for like 30 bucks i believe and it fit perfect all holes lined up and looks nice. i need a bottom one still though idk y the aftermarket lower ones are more than the the upper cause the upper is like twice the size.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Overdrive Member

The lowers are on indefinite back order. IDK why they are more to begin with. Lower grills and seat tracks seam to be a comodity.

Quick Reply: My 78 Project