more problems my way

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear member
Default more problems my way

YAY MORE PROBLEMS!! WWOOOHHHOOO

haha ok so i finally push my car outside to start it today. i turn the key it catches and a horrible screeching noise was coming from the car. ok a belt my initial thoughs. i test each belt than take the both off and still the noise. so im thinken its my newly rebuilt tranny doen this...im getting like really pissed. so than after eating some food and thinking it over i go out and instead of letting the key go when it turns over i hold it. the noise went away. you hear some noise from the starter like a normal whine if u held the key. and as soon as i let go of the key the horrible noise came back. i did this a few times so now the prime culprit is the starter motor. i was just wondering from the limited information i just gave you if my theory was at all correct. im thinken the gear on the starter is getting hung up? also when i was doing the torque converter bolts when i turned the fly wheel the starter gear would be leaning against the fly wheel and clicked. so im hoping im write cause i just ordered a new starter......let me know what you guys think - Thanks - Jon

Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: more problems my way

Sounds to me like there is not enough cleance between the starter and the flywheel. This is fixed by putting a shim between the starter and the engine block. You may have to try differnt shim thickness. If you ran the engine making that kind of noise for very long I would use that new starter over running clutchs are not designed to handle more then 500 RPMs and thats only for a few seconds. Most likely the new starter will need shimed also.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear member

i understand what your saying, but i did not remove the starter when i installed the tranny. would that still cause a need for it to be shimmed? it never did this before the tranny was pulled. freaken cars, you never win. haha thanks gorn. ill see about shimming it. for right now im gunna dissconect the torque converter and start the engine to make sure its nothing in the transmission. u think thats a good idea?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like the bendix is stuck not allowing the starter gear to retract.if all that checks out ,start shimming,get the gear out there and engaged with the flywheel and check the clearance with the little rod tool they give you when you buy a starter.when engaged,you should have clearance between the top of the starter gear tooth and the bottom of the flywheel tooth pocket

Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear member

well its not a starter motor problem. i disconnected the t.c. from the fly wheel and the noise was not heard....im stumped now.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

I would think its something in the trans, is it a new torque converter? Has the flex plate been off the engine? Did you havethe properclearance between the trans and torque convertor? I assume it has enough oil in it and the torque convertor was filled prior to installation.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah it has fluid in it. the fly wheel was never off the car, its a brand new converter and it does spin freely when not attached the fly wheel. im so baffled its horrible. ill try to get a video of the horrible noise tomorrow after work, thanks guys - Jon

Old 04-05-2008, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear member

let me update you guys on the noise, now the noise goes away when i drop the car into drive or reverse. when in park or neutral the thing SCREAMS. so does this lead anywhere else where you can think of a diagnosis??? im so baffled its hurting me head. any ideas would be great.