Metal interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by gfrench
Some JoAnns have it, but you want 77 or higher not 66. 66 is weak.
Picked up the spray glue and two rolls of insolation today. Now I just gotta get the carpet. (Yeah got the glue at HD)

Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 AM

If You have the door panels off, You might want to clean and grease the window regulators, lock mechanisms, check or replace speakers or whatever is lurking inside those doors.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 66fordman
If You have the door panels off, You might want to clean and grease the window regulators, lock mechanisms, check or replace speakers or whatever is lurking inside those doors.
And check the felts if you have the door panels off! They wear, and then the metal will contact the glass and leave rub marks. I useed contact cement and pieces of cheap carpet to save my brackets by gluing the carpet where the felt was.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright, will do. On the subject of the windows, how come my windows wobble when they are out? If the doors are shut, they are fine, but doors open + windows up = very unstable windows haha

Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 PM

The doors and windows on f bodies are very large. When in the up position, and doors closed, the glass is "pressed" against weatherstips giving it more stability.
When open, there is no support for the glass. There are however, supports, stops and guides inside the door that wear out and need replacing or adjustments. This might help!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The doors and windows on f bodies are very large. When in the up position, and doors closed, the glass is "pressed" against weatherstips giving it more stability.
When open, there is no support for the glass. There are however, supports, stops and guides inside the door that wear out and need replacing or adjustments. This might help!
Thanks a lot, I'll take a little deeper look into it. Next month I'll begin the full interior resoration, because I'll have the cash. Will hopefully take plenty of pictures so you guys can tell me if I'm doing it right. I only want to do this once! Interior is not my thing ahahaha

Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Glad I clicked on this thread, that is an awesome idea! I was just sitting here wondering what I was going to do about the interior. I think I'm going to end up putting down dynamat on at least the floor as well.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

There are numerous supports for the glass when open on a 2nd gen Camaro. The felts I mentioned are supports that if not worn, and adjusted properly, will support the glass all the way from fully open to almost fully up. The wipes that are on the outside top of the door next to the glass, and also on the interior panel top edge of the door to further support the glass. The outside is rubber edges, and the inside are rubber with some sort of felt also. If these inner and outter wipes are worn out that glass will wobble around a lot as the glass gets up higher out of the door.
There are also nylon rollers that run in tracks in the doors, and if they are worn out the glass will wobble around.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
There are numerous supports for the glass when open on a 2nd gen Camaro. The felts I mentioned are supports that if not worn, and adjusted properly, will support the glass all the way from fully open to almost fully up. The wipes that are on the outside top of the door next to the glass, and also on the interior panel top edge of the door to further support the glass. The outside is rubber edges, and the inside are rubber with some sort of felt also. If these inner and outter wipes are worn out that glass will wobble around a lot as the glass gets up higher out of the door.
There are also nylon rollers that run in tracks in the doors, and if they are worn out the glass will wobble around.
Thank you very much. The more info I can get on these old cars the better. I'm sure I'll be making a not-so-pretty but functional way to "renew" these supports. Got the door panels off today, ordering the carpet next week. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Also going to experiment with the vinyl this week.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's the way to go! Jump in and give it a try. Take a little time and I bet you get a decent looking result for a big savings over repops.