May be getting a 1980. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Default May be getting a 1980. Need help

Ok. I am selling my quad to get a 1980 Camaro. I won't have my licence for about a year so I wanna know how to store it without rusting out the frame and stuff. Just some help with this and any other bits of help would be great. Thanks

Old 09-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: May be getting a 1980. Need help

Give the car an oil and filter change. Get some gasoline preservative & put in the tank. Give it a good washing including the undercarriage and store in a dry spot or cover with a car cover. Disconnect the battery. Run the engine once a month for about 1/2 hr to keep seals from drying out, run the AC also. I don't know where you live, but in some parts of the country field mice are a problem, as they like to nest in unattended cars and really make a stinky mess. You can discourage them from moving in by getting a few bags of moth ***** and distribute them throughout the car, including the engine compartment.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Ok now what about rust. What should I do about that? My dad has a car port. Should I use that AND put a car cover over it? Now, when the weather is okay I will be able to take it out and drive it around the back yard. I stay at my dads on weekends, so I can take it out then, and probably wednesdays. Anything else I should know about storage? It will probably be just through the winter months. One more thing. How often should I change the oil in it?
And yeah I live in MA. I have had to take mice nests out of the air filter twice. I asked my auto body instructor if I would be able to bring it in and put racing stripes down the middle. He said that it would be fine but to be careful with the camaro because they rust up easily. Thats what I'm worried about. Think if I get it, I'll buy a cowl induction hood on ebay first. God I hope I sell my quad before he sells it.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:46 AM

As far as the rust there is not much you can do about that unless you want to take the time to coat the underside in a light oil as in WD-40 or something like that. And do that periodically while the car is being stored. That being because the car will be stored outside. Moisture is the main thing that causes rust. You say that it will be under a car port? That in itself should keep the car dry. The only place where you might experience rust would be on the brake drums and rotors. Due the fact that you wont be driving the car all that much. As far as changing the oil...if you just drive it once or twice a month then you wont need to change the oil being that it will not put that many miles on the engine. If your not able to drive it then make sure you start it at least once a month. For the reasons already stated by someone else. And yes do keep it covered that will help out alot. Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Just dont let snow get up under the floor. Keep it in the car port if you can. still have the car cover on it. I was in the same situation that you are in. I got my 81 2 years ago when I was 15. I covered it and kept it in the garage. If the floors are good then buy some undercoating and spray them down. that will keep rust away. the frame rails will not rust through unless they sit for many many years. just put undercoatin or oil on the whole underside. Enjoy your camaro