Let's call this a step backwards!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Let's call this a step backwards!

What a horrible, frustrating day today! Got off work early, and the weather was gorgeous, so I dove into the front of the Camaro.
Decided I needed to put a seal kit in the power steering pump before adding all the new billet brackets and pulleys. The kit went great, and got the pump all done with new seals.
Then I tore everything off the front of the engine, (including the water pump) and installed the new Weiand hi flow aluminum pump. Started installing the crank pulley, and the brackets for the power steering and alternator. This is when things went south rapidly!
The Billet Specialties brackets for power steering have little or no adjustment, so I figured I'd need a really close belt, but then I realised the pulley wont even clear my steering box oonce the pump was mounted to the new bracket.
If that wasn't enough, I got the alternator bracket installed and it required me to ream out the lower mount on my alternator from 3/8" to 1/2". Got that done and mounted the alternator, and it situates my alt. so close to the pass. side head that the wiring is jammed against the head, and the heim turnbuckle will barely reach, so no adjustemnt there either!
And now for the encore! Both power steering and alternator line up with the same groove on the crank pulley!!!!!! Put a straight edge on both and sure enough there's no way to adjust the location enough to move one of them out to line up with the outter crank pulley.
The only things that did line up perfectly were the water pump and cranshaft pulleys. They mate up perfectly as they should.
I got tired and frustrated, so I put all the tools away, drove the car in the garage, and just rolled the door down. Sent en email to Summit to ask for assistance, so now I'll probably have to wait until next week to get a reply.
Figures; a nice sunny weekend is scheduled, so no Camaro to drive when the weather cooperates!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

How's this for spacing?

And this might rub enough to actually short out!!!

Looks good if it just lined up and fit!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

that sucks

Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Well *****,that sux,maybe they sent the wrong kit or something.
The wife and I went thrift store and estate sale hopping in the Camaro today,man it was nice out,mid Winter and cruising around with the windows down, just unbelievable.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Overdrive Member

Nice for us is when it stops snowing. I dread sunny days because when its clear it gets real cold at night. Won't get nice until late March. Does that make you feel better.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm going to try to make some spacers for the alternator side on the lathe. I figure if I can space the hanger off the water pump with some aluminum material it will line up with the front pulley. Then I'll have to run to the hardware store and get a piece of rod to cut and lengthen the turnbuckle. Or I may try to use my old adjustment bracket for that part.
Not sure what to try on the power steering pump yet, but I'll look at possibly turning the bracket upside down to raise it without changing the alignment with that pulley.
Might as well try something until I can hear from Summit on Monday.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Just a thought.... and I don't know if it makes a diffeence or not but if one bracket is Summit brand and the other is Billet Specialties might they not be compatible or one is possibly for a serpentine set-up? Just throwing it out there. It's a shame to have to jury rig such nice stuff. Good Luck.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Pablo63
Just a thought.... and I don't know if it makes a diffeence or not but if one bracket is Summit brand and the other is Billet Specialties might they not be compatible or one is possibly for a serpentine set-up? Just throwing it out there. It's a shame to have to jury rig such nice stuff. Good Luck.
The Summit stuff has Billet Specialties marked all over their package, so it's the same brand really.

I spent the entire day from around 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, and got it all sorted out. Still need a bit of fine tuning on the power steering brcketry, but it's solid.
I ended up using most of the alternator setup, but cut some schedule 80 aluminum conduit and polished it up as a spacer/cover for the alternator pivot bolt. I moved it out a little over 1/2" to line up with the first pulley, and it's perfect. I didn't use the turnbuckle to adjust tension, just put the old chrome arm back on for that part, and it looks right at home.
I used part of the alternator bracketry and adjuster for the power steering side, and tossed part of the power steering bracketry. I used the heim joint adjuster, and made a mounting bracket out of part of the old bracket, and part of the new.
When I was done I cut my longest V belt and wrapped it around the pulleys and made a mark where the length was correct. Then repeated that for the power steering. Went to NAPA and had them dig up two belts for me, and put them on, tensioned them, and took it for a test drive.
A long day, but it's all working fine, and looks a bit better than the cobbled mess I had before. Never did find a pulley for the water pump, so went to the wrecking yard and bought one off a FORD! Hope the Camaro doesn't reject this transplant!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Glad you have it in working order now. As far as the water pump pulley goes, I think it's only fitting that a Ford died so that a Chevy may live, LOL.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Missed a beautiful day for driving, but had to take advantage of the good weather and get things sorted out. I'll keep the Camaro on anti rejection medicine for awhile until I'm sure she wont spit the pulley out.
Have to go help wire my buddy's shop tomorrow, so maybe I'll toss my tools in the Camaro and drive it to his place!
Here's what I ended up doing:
Name:  eng1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  107.5 KB
I used the BSP bracket for the alt. and part of the BSP system for the PS pump. It will work and doesn't look too bad.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 02-21-2010 at 07:42 PM.