knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: knocking sound

thanks guys that helps out alot..just got back from auto store had fun two guys where getting my stuff : ) too fix all problems above and then some..ya i got everything for a tune up why i was there also ..so in the next couple of days after i get my tie rods in the work will start......as for the rings not sure what to do about thaT...i was planning on a new paint job this summer but maybe a newengine instead..dont know

Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

oh ya another ? should i get a valley pan for when i change my gaskets tryed to get one to day and they told me it wasnt for my car i now this is opptional but i figured i would find out first if it is really nessasary

Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if octane booster helped its a problem with your tune.
FYI
Back in the olden days before fuel injection cars ran a lot, well, less clean. If an older car is babied a bit it will get a carbon build up in the cylinders. This buildup causes and increase in compression. This increase in compression will cause the knocking HotRod Momma is talking about. If fact is was very common back in the day for our service manager to take out certain customers cars and run the **** out of them before they even wrote a work order. You would be amazed at the list of complaints carbon buildup can cause. In the worst cases we would pour water down the carburator. The steam would free up the build up. I do not recommend this for any one who does not know what they are doing. You could blow the cylinder head right off you car.

As for the valley pan you answered your own question
this is opptional
. If you are having a mechanic do this for you should get his opinion. I only replace them if they are factory equipt.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

Never tried it myself, because I like to take stuff apart, but some people say they get good results with carbon cleanup using sea foam http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm. I think chrysler used to sell somthing similar. I thought I saw the sea foam for sale in auto zone..

Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well my bro and hubbyis going to do it im just going to help out basicly hand him beer and tools......but ya hes saying to get a valley pan....went ahead and got the whole list of stuffi figureed out i payed someone to tell me whats wrong with my car so im just going to replace what they said was wrong...........

Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Maybe I missed it but what engine is in the car?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 AM
2nd Gear member

also. try pouring transmission fluid down the carb and holding the throttle at like 2,000-2,500 rpm. pour in the tranny fluid and watch the smoke come out of your car. it gets rid of all the carbon on the valve seats and pistons. also with the knock. you may have gotten some bad gas. and the octain was not high enough so it knocked. and the booster made it the proper balance.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HOTROD MOMMA
as for the rings not sure what to do about thaT...i was planning on a new paint job this summer but maybe a newengine instead..dont know
don't worry about your rings. your engine has nothing wrong with it

at most, your timing is probably off a bit. as far as the carbon build-up thing goes(which is only a best guess on their part), what I like to do is, with the car running, I use a squirt bottle and spray down the carb. not enough to stall the car, but I will spray it down there until it starts to stumble, then I will let it smooth out and I will repeat the process some more until I feel good about it

Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

WELL FOUND OUT TODAY I HAVE A NEWER 86 CHEVY TRUCK MOTOR ...LOL...FOUND OUT THREW SURPINTIN BELT NUMBERS...BUT ATLEAST ITS A 4 BOLT MAIN ....THE ONLY BAD THING ABOUT BUYING A CAR SOMEONE ELSE WAS WORKING ON IS YOUR NOT SURE WHATS GOING ON! I DONT THINK THE RING ARE WORN ...CANT I BE GETTING THE BLOW BY BECAUSE MY INTAKE GASKET IS LEAKING????

Quick Reply: knocking sound