knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default knocking sound

i have had someone tell me its a lifter and another tell me its a power stering pump?????so who do i beleave...i know when i got the car the power steering was dry added fluid and wheel still sqeeks when turned to tight but pretty sure thats normal...well any advice would be great,because im not sure what to buy at the auto store ; {..............

Old 01-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: knocking sound

Noisy lifters make more of a clacking sound. A deeper sounding knock can be a rod knock, or piston slap. A bad power steering pump usually makes a sawing noise while turning the wheels. Hard to tell what you have from here.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well aMechanic told me power stering pump because its coming from front of the motorand brothers told me lifters...it still knocks with your foot on the pedal if that helps .....any who ill figure it out or just replace it all!when all else fells.......

Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

It could be a spun bearing, cause I had a knock in my motor to and I though it could be any of those things until I pulled the motor and tore it down and found to be a spun bearing. So thats another suggestion.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

if you're not good at diagnosing the problem, you could always take the p.s. belt off and then start the car and see if the noise is still there.

I have done this type of thing a lot on all front acessories when the noise is a tough one to figure out

Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

if you're not good at diagnosing the problem, you could always take the p.s. belt off and then start the car and see if the noise is still there.

I have done this type of thing a lot on all front acessories when the noise is a tough one to figure out
cool never would have thought of that....now i just need some heat its to darn cold to be outside: (...i will check that tonight after work and let you now the verdict

Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

sometimes it's the easiest solutions that are the hardest to figure out

Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well if it makes any sence i put in octan boost and it stoped????but i did take it in to the auto shop to have it looked at and diagnost here the list i got back that they found wrong..

upper arm bushing
outer left tie rod
intake manfold gasket leeking
needs new front rotars and brake pads
oil switch is leaking and transmision pan gasket leaking

over all i was pretty happy to find out it wasnt anything bad...they told me sence i put in that octain boost and the knocking stopped i probably need my engine decorbanated?? anyways the power stearing pump is fine......but they told me my pvc system is working fine but my rings are a little worn........and to add a additive when i change my oil....

Old 02-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like you found a decent wrench, If you use a octane boost/injection cleaner every fill up it will help loosen up the carbon in the intake and cylinders (decarbanated). You can also run the crap out of it up to about 4500 RPMs. The rest of the stuff sounds like all normal wear stuff. You should get those brakes and suspension items fixed. Unless you are getting puddles of oil under the car I would not worry too much about those oil leaks. If your rings are worn and the motor has a fair amount of blow by then it will push oil out the weak spots. If you fix those weak spots it could just find the next weak spot. No reason to put a bunch of money in an engine that you are going to replace/rebuild in the next 2 years or so.

There are some advantages to getting the intake resealed if its not been done in a long time besides the oil leak. It tends to improve idle and it could prevent coolant from getting in your oil down the road.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Ninja Administrator

if octane booster helped its a problem with your tune.
rich/lean, too much timing. something like that.

I would do the above like gorn said. Get the carb cleaned up.. not sure if you can run carb cleaner with it on the car.... but if so that would be the way to go. Check your plugs. its kinda sounding like the motor is just dirty.

but, if you check your plugs and the electrodes are corroded then you have detonation, if they are just dirty you may want to consider rejetting your carb.

Quick Reply: knocking sound