keys wont come out. 2 shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:39 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default keys wont come out. 2 shifters?

This is fun. I have a floor shifter AND a column shifter. The column one needs to be turned all the way to the left (counter clockwise) in order for the car to even turn over. The other one......I dunno. The shift pattern is strange. here is a picture of both. I have no way of contacting the po to find out what the heck, I am hopin one of you guys have ever seen this or similar and can give advice. I m thinking of getting a 5 speed (perfect fit) and the guy needs to know the ratio, so I lifted up the rear end and the tires wont even budge, no matter where in the shift pattern.... nuthin. And, when the car starts the reverse lights are on but the tires still no move. Did I mention the keys wont come out now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5126/925B2A10979B4306828476EF0F9CFED7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: keys wont come out. 2 shifters?

UPDATE
Ok, I did some messing around and figured something out. If I rotate the column sleeve clockwise, just bit the key lock will disengage and I can remove the keys. Also that isthe position that the car will not start. There is no reverse for this car. I am thinking that the PO or some previous one did some frankenstien crap to the car and now it is all ghetto-fied. The floor where the shifter goes is all torn up, bad job. Oh well, at least its a start, and I still cant find nuetral to roll the tires. BTW will a 700-R4 (stock blazer) fit ina 69 camaro? Should I attempt to replace the origional column shifter? Is there a diagram of some sort, maybe step by step on how to do this?

Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

The key lock is done with the column like you found out, if you look under the hood neer the firewall where the column comes through you will see a lever. What I did on mine was tie that lever up to something to keep it up. that will keep the column sleeve in the park location so you will be able to remove the keys and the car should start. From the pedals in your pic it looks like its an auto trans. The shifter looks to be one of the rod type shifter for an auto trans, if so you will need to get under the car and see if it is conected to the trans shift lever. On the shift lever you can shift it by hand from under the car (make sure the rear tires are off the ground). with out the motor running. Looking at the shift lever rotate it clockwise all the way, that will be park and the driveshaft should not turn, now turn the lever counter clockwise and you should feel it click into reverse, the driveshaft should turn by hand. keep going the same way and the next gear will be neutral, the next will be drive, the next will be 2nd and the next will be 1st. Unless you have a Powerglide 2sp trans
If the driveshaft does not turn with it out of park the you need to make sure the brakes or rearendare not locked up
You should feel the shift lever kinda like pop into each of the gears

let me know what you find, maybe take a few pics under the car of the trans and linkage will be able to help more if I know for sure what you have

Old 01-15-2007, 10:34 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Thanks for the info, I work nights and do not always have time to do things with the car. The car is an auto trans. I can get it to turn the tires forward but not reverse.(rear jacked up on stands). I will just keep the column sleve in place, its kind of like a theft deterant if its in the wrong position.I will be able to look at it soon, not today or tommorrow though . I will check the gearing and perhaps post a pic of the underside to give you all a better idea of what I have to work with. I am thinking that since I am not going to be driving this soon I might just do a little every day and post pics of the progress, kind of like a blog, just a thought. When it comes time to replace the column sleeve, how is it done? Where can I go to get one? Do I need to replce the entire stearing column? Thanks again.